Anyone familiar with the 2005 John Deere 5310?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EdLongshanks, Feb 23, 2021.

1. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    I'm happy for you that you found something relatively simple to fix. Welcome to tractor ownership. Trust me it won't always be that easy. Any tractor that gets used is going to have issues.
    Like the other guys said, unless the fluid on your dipstick looks brand new I'd get new fluid and a filter as soon as possible. Same for the fuel and engine oil. Tractor supply's premium hydraulic oil is equivalent to John deere hyguard.
    And they always say someone just bought the last one when the truth is they don't stock shit. I usually just order most stuff online.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Duly noted. Thank you

3. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    And don't forget to look at at the most important filter - - >air

barney likes this.
  4. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I’m glad you got it all figured out. Nothing worse than equipment failures and not knowing how to get it running again. Glad you stuck with it yourself and saved the money.

carnivore and EdLongshanks like this.
  5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Air filter is a for sure job . Take it out and blow it off with a compressor . I do mine often . If you replace it just because it is dirty , you will go broke buying filters.
    Check starter to make sure it is tight . Mine loosens up every now and then .
    Make sure to buy some extra O rings for your hydraulic plug in on the back.
    If you ever change the hydraulic fluid , there is a filter / screen on the back just right of PTO and down a little with two bolts . Take it out and blow it clean.

Meatstick and EdLongshanks like this.
  6. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    LOLOLOL...:D

Farmer Ed with your broken-down, new, old tractor... I just now got around to catching-up reading about all...

Although I do not know the first thing about tractors, I would tend to believe that mere condensation could cause all, as opposed to anything more extreme. With that thought in mind, I ponder what type of barn that new, old tractor will be protected within, from this point forward in time, along with that barn's potential venting methods, being that the hot summer is just around the bend.

Anywho, congrats Farmer Ed, and good luck with putting Humpty Dumpty back together again. As for the pending tree felling, that might very well make for some extremely entertaining video... Meanwhile, perhaps this one may prove helpful in one or more manners... :D

7. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    And hit every zerk you can find. At least 2 or 3 times a year. All the loader pivot points may need it a bit more depending on how much you use it.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I watched a video on the transmission/hydraulic fluid and filter change. 3 drain plugs? That seems excessive.

9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I have been keeping it real greasy like. In fact I just purchased a new grease gun because my old one pissed me off trying to lube her up.

10. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    Sounds right. Your filling the rear end and the transmission. I'm pretty sure my 1981 model 2240 has 3. I know it takes somewhere between 12 and 15 gallons. Trans hydraulic fluid.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  11. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m looking at pricing and the tractor supply premium fluid is spendy mister. I’m not looking to skimp and I know JD oil is more...just saying that’s a kick in the nads especially needing 11 or 12 gallons

12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    If your oil is not dirty or dark, you probably dont need to change it

barney likes this.
  13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    It looks clear as a bell on the dip stick

Feedman and barney like this.