Anyone familiar with the 2005 John Deere 5310?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EdLongshanks, Feb 23, 2021.

1. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I looked for a tractor for quite a while and ended up buying a 5310. It’s 4wd with loader. It appeared in great shape. No leaks. Everything was in working order. The tractor operates perfectly. I blew a front tire clearing honeysuckle but that was a 1 in a million chance at snapping a valve stem. Sucked. Had the tire fixed and went back to work. With the cold weather, it became apparent that both gear shifters became frozen. I couldn’t move them. This is apparently a common problem? I sprayed ether in from the top and that thawed it the first time. The second time, I decided to use a heat gun. It appeared to be working...but as I was wiggling the A, B, C shifter something gave way. I can carefully shift gears but something is wrong in the linkage. Do you think the fork broke? A spring? No telling until I take it apart? Also.....how in the hell can I prevent the freezing problem in the future? It’s beyond annoying.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    OH, Lord.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  3. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Farmer Ed, no earthly idea. I'm simply happy that you finally purchased yourself a tractor and are actually trying to operate it, so that I can now call you Farmer Ed. Congratulations, Farmer Ed, for having already torn-up your tractor.:D

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Need some elaboration there sir :eek:

5. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Don't have a clue..

Dark Cloud likes this.
  6. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    The inner webs suggestion the freezing is from condensation or a faulty rubber boot around the shifter. The boot on my tractor appears fine.

7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Hahaha. I don’t either. I’m going to take the housing apart and have a gander. If it appears remotely out of my league I’ll have to load it up and take her to the dealer I rectal.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Be extremely careful, might be a bear trap.

Dark Cloud and EdLongshanks like this.
  9. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I ain’t a skeert of nothing....except making the repair bill way worse than it needs to be.

barney likes this.
  10. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have a 5510 and my son was out back loading hay and it quit shifting . It is the same setup as yours.
    There was a little shaft inside the transmission that we spent well over two days fixing. The little shaft broke and we tore the floor out of my cab to fix it .
    Had to take the shifter top off the transmission to get to the inside. You can change forks and those shifter shaves without breaking the whole transmission apart.
    With out seeing the tractor it is hard to say exactly what the problem is.
    As far as frozen shifters from water I would make sure the transmission / hydraulic system was fluid and not full of water. The shifters should not freeze because they are sealed up . Mark these links as they will become your best friend. It will give you a parts break down and part numbers.
    John Deere Parts Catalog
    And
    John Deere Parts Catalog

jblack1, Dark Cloud, barney and 2 others like this.
  11. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Henry County
    What's it got? 2 shift levers between your feet? That's how my 2240 is. The shifter goes in a metal piece that slides back and forth on a rod. At some point before I owned it I guess the same thing happened to it and it broke the metal piece. It gets out of whack occasionally and I have to take the cover off to get it out of the gear it's stuck in. The piece that's broken can't be changed without splitting the tractor. Soon as I get retired I'm going to try to come up with with a way to weld it.
    The boots are a piss poor design. I always park it out of the weather to keep water from getting in the hydraulic fluid.

12. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I forgot to mention . Drain the fuel tank each time you fill it by loosening the drain valve on the back bottom of the tank. Just drain enough to get rid of water in the tank.
    If it starts running sluggish you may have to clean the top part of the fuel filter and or change fuel filter.

13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    The tractor is stored in my barn. The fluid and filter were claimed to have been changed within the last 10 hours. I find it hard to believe that the tractor has to be parted to repair the damaged part in the linkage. It broke way to easy for it to be something substantial....plus I can still shift ranges if I hold the shifter in a certain position. I will literally vomit if the problem is that in depth. Anyone want to make an offer on a really nice, but slightly used 5310 if that’s the case? :(

14. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Two shifters one under your left arm and one under your right arm. Left is A B C right is 1 2 3 and R and park. No shifters in the middle.
    There is a small box attached to the top of the transmission on each shifter that could possibly hold water but if they fill up it will drain into the inside of the transmission. There is also pin in that box that can mess . Just so many thing that can be wrong . but can be fixed fairly easy.

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    This thread deserves a picture from Farmer Ed of his new, old, broken tractor.