anyone do any good on Knox this year?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Michigander, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Strut 'N' Buck

Strut 'N' Buck 10 pointer

Apr 16, 2011
    Shepherdsville, KY
    This is true. I’ve hunted there the last 2 weekends and have only saw a few doe. And tiny ones at that. Hunted my “honey hole” this morning. Saw a doe and fawn. Unbelievable. A few years ago I could sit in that same tree and see a handful of bucks, shooter or two and numerous does. Not sure what the cause/reason is, but the numbers are down tremendously. Even my cameras out there have been extremely slow the last few years and usually you see several deer throughout the night there. Nothing. So I don’t know. Hopefully something for the good changes out there soon.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I don’t care where you are I’d be tickled silly to see 10 deer a sit

deerturkey14, dirtstalker and RLWEBB like this.
  3. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Dude, I've hunted Knox for 35 years. Believe me when I say 10 a sit in the 80s was marginal at best. A good pinch on a first wknd in a good area and you could see 50 before lunch, dead serious. While I know it will never be that way again, there's no reason folks are hunting all wknd to see 1 or 2 deer.

rockhousehunter and Meatstick like this.
  4. Michigander

Michigander 8 pointer

Dec 8, 2014
    Radcliff
    my buddy says the same thing. I have even noticed the difference in the last 7 years I have hunted it

rockhousehunter and Redlined like this.
  5. FF/EMT516

FF/EMT516 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2020
    Blackrock, Ky
    RLWEBB likes this.
  6. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    From 2003 thru 2010, I had NUMEROUS 100+ deer days on Ft Knox. Rarely saw less than 20 in a sit. Hunting firebreaks early bow season out there was the best hunting of my life. When the September and October gun hunting started, it went to shit. I don't even fool with it anymore for deer. It's still worth the bonus turkey tags, though.

rockhousehunter and Redlined like this.
  7. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    That same time frame you mentioned was the same for me. I don't bother mentioning alot of what I've seen over there in the past because most don't believe it. I have personally sat in line till almost 8PM at the check station because of all the deer. Back then, East Ky didn't have a season, and you got *1* either sex tag. Sure everybody wanted a buck, but a deer was a deer. And my God did they get killed. Fwiw, they weren't all smallish either. Bucks were no smaller than they are now, but still smaller than state deer. As far as antlers go, there's no telling how many B&C were drug back to wherever and hung on a barn somewhere because no-one new anything about scoring antlers, just "it was a big buck"

Feedman, barney and Meatstick like this.
  8. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Yep. Almost all hunters from Eastern Kentucky put in for Fort Knox. I killed my first deer there.

Redlined and barney like this.
  9. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Loved having them EKY boys in my area on the Quota hunts. They wouldn't put up with deer not moving for long before they were hiking around like mules kickin' em up. Hardest hunting boys I've been around. I do miss the quota hunt out there.

10. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I saw my smallest there. Sneaked up behind me walking on a 1/2" of ice without breaking through! Dec. 2006 I think.

Feedman, Meatstick and Redlined like this.
  11. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Miss Jean would chew ppls ass for killing little baby deer. I sorely miss her, she was a great soul!
    Back on topic, I saw a fawn standing under a doe on Nov 5 out there one season. Full spots, nursing, maybe 20lbs. Doe musta been bred derby wknd.

12. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Yes. Those guys killed deer rain, snow, shine. You'd hear shooting and commotion up on the hills then 20-30 come piling past the berms and range fan markers at warp speed.

Feedman and Meatstick like this.
  13. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    Back in '87 the whole damn state was on fire, there was even talk of cancelling rifle season because it was so dry, needless to say, most of Knox burned too. As luck would have it, rain came in early Nov and the show went on. Fast fwd to the Knox hunt, everything was burned to hell and deer stuck out like a sore thumb. It was a literal meat market and to teenage eyes seeing so many deer and big bucks with black, soot covered antlers strapped to Wagoneers, CJs, Scouts, and old battered 4x4s was an epic sight I will remember forever.

14. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    I don’t doubt it I’m just saying If you still see 10 deer a day there the hunting doesn’t suck.

FF/EMT516 likes this.
  15. Redlined

Redlined 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2005
    In The Tree Next To Ya
    I could name off less than 5 areas on one hand where that *might* happen now and there's gonna be plenty of room to wiggle ur fingers

rockhousehunter likes this.