Anyone a B&C member?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYBOY, Jun 5, 2017.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    anyone a Boone Crockett member? A few of us were wondering about B&C entries by county in Kentucky. Just curious if their list breaks it down to counties. Thanks

2. kipdynamite

kipdynamite 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2005
    Lexington
    Contact Dale Weddle, 606-636-6866. He may be able to help you.

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Sorry
    I thought you meant Beer an ???

I don't have anythingbfor the C

4. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    Rhymes with hunts

Mainbeam and EdLongshanks like this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Yep but I didn't think it appropriate to say

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The pic below was posted on here last year.. and I had saved the image because it gave a B&C breakdown per county.

I'm thinking this is 2015 info ... so the numbers don't reflect last season (2016).

IMG_1146.JPG

KYBOY likes this.
  7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Thanks JD, much appreciated! That's an eye opening breakdown.

8. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Obviously there are a lot of B&C deer not entered and therefore not reflected in that graphic. It would be awesome to know just how many more have been killed but I know that is fairly impossible. My guess is that reflects around 40-60% of the actual numbers. From a county by county perspective the map looks about like I thought it would look although I have to say that I am shocked that Caldwell County only has 2 entries. I'm also a little bit surprised that the numbers aren't a little higher in the other counties bordering Ohio. It is like Lewis County is a big buck island up there in a sea of average.

Georgia Transplant likes this.
  9. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Yep move along just a sea of average. We saw what happened to Lewis back in the 90's. Folks around here know better than to advertise big deer. I know folks who deliver the horns the day taxi is ready to start and while they are there the ID tag reads "Ohio bow kill with a Ky harvest number"

10. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Lol. I feel you man. Of course when I said "sea of average" it wasn't a dig at those counties but rather just an factual statement based upon the numbers displayed in that graph.

I know exactly what you are saying though. I hunt farms in 6 of those orange and red counties and if you told me today that I had to give up all of my hunting places except for one... the one that I would keep without even a moments consideration would be one that is in a single digit County. I hope that county continues to fly under the radar. It is sad that a person even has to consider tagging a big deer in the wrong county and other such misdirection plays to keep the wolves at bay.

11. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Hey I saw it first hand. I am friends with the parents of the Joey Smith Buck and his cousin killed that big muzzle loader kill . The next year Hank Parker leased the farm just over from where I hunted. He sent in 12 stands and 8 cameras and hired a guy to put them up and monitor them. I stopped down there and talked to Hank and Ben one day and they'ed had 4 cameras and 4 stands stolen plus Hank watched from a stand somebody stop along the road and kill 2 turkeys with a high powered rifle,man he was worked up over that poor ole warden got there and he took him and showed him the hulls and feathers. need less to say Parker had enough of Lewis Co. The next year a bunch came in from another state and payed double for that farm just to hunt it. Had a farm in Robertson I hunted all my life leased from me by a bunch from South Carolina. I drove through a WMA last year there where Pennsylvania ,Maine, Georgia,Ohio trucks parked all over it . Its just crazy the money being spent on deer hunting Ha ha

12. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I bet at least 50% are not entered! Alot of hunters don't want the publicity that comes with losing leases and trespassing once word gets out.

13. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    Man the more I think about it the more I'd be inclined to say that 75% or more are not recorded. I'll give you an example. I know 2 guys that have killed 3 B&C deer between them in Webster County and none of those 3 deer are in the book. Now look how many are showing in Webster. What are the odds that I personally know people who have killed 25% of the B&C deer ever killed in Webster County? If you told me only 10% of all B&C bucks are actually in the book I'd believe it.

14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Id bet that map only shows the permanent book deer to, the 170" and above deer to since the 160" deer are in the book for three years.
    On the other side Ive heard plenty of guys over time say they have booners on the wall but never put them in the books. Then when you see them you know why..Most just don't know any better. I didn't either for a long time because I never cared to learn about it.

15. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    There are just so many reasons that a deer would never get entered and really only one or two reasons to do it. A person could not know how to go about it. A person could have intentions to do it but never get around to it. A person could have a Booner and not know it. A person could want to keep his hunting spot a secret and not draw attention. A person could just have no desire to toot their own horn. There is no way that anyone can argue that it is important because it is some kind of historical record because there are obviously so many deer that simply aren't in there. It probably is a decent representation of the very top end because as deer approach state record status I would guess that it becomes more likely that it gets scored and entered but there are no doubt hundreds upon hundreds of deer in the bottom 10" in each category that aren't in there.

I mean in the end for the most part it is really just about tooting your own horn or having some kind of bragging right (even if it is just something for your own pride). I'm on the fence about whether or not I'd try to enter a deer if I ever killed one that qualified (I really hope I am pushed to make this decision some day).

If you kill a 175" deer and get him officially scored you have a B&C deer as far as I'm concerned whether you enter him in the official records or not and most people that you tell about it or show a picture to could care less if it is actually IN the book.