Anybody use an SUV...

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Fat_Matt, Feb 19, 2016.

1. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    The jeep liberty makes a awesome hunting rig.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

2. jeepndeer

jeepndeer 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2006
    I have a truck but strongly looked at SUV's for the reasons mentioned. Problem was most of the reliable ones were a box on a car chassis. I had an Expedtion for a couple years, camped in the back, used a hitch rack for deer. I actually ended up using the hitch rack with the pickup this year because it's easier to clean and the truck is high enough it's hard to load bigger deer up by myself. Those Geo Trackers do seem to go anywhere!

3. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I sold my rig this fall since it was starting to fall apart so I spent the second half of the season using my wife's company car that is a minivan. My hunting buddy uses a Volvo SUV that is his every day driver. If you can get a deer into it on top of tarps, you can use it.

Heck, I could probably use the trunk of my new honda accord if needed.

4. Fat_Matt

Fat_Matt 6 pointer

Dec 28, 2011
    Elsmere, KY
    After checking into SUV's this weekend I went with the Escape, but it's the older body. It has a higher ground clearance and from a few people I know they said that body style handles well off the road. I considered the jeep but reviews didn't sound to great. I'll find out in a couple weeks for myself how she'll handle off pavement.

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I guess it's a little late, but I was going to ask if you considered smaller trucks like a Dakota or a Colorado?

Fwiw, I've used a Bronco II, Jeep Wrangler, and now a Dodge Dakota to hunt out of. On the wrangler, I used to tie deer on top of the spare tire when I wasn't using the hitch hauler.

6. Fat_Matt

Fat_Matt 6 pointer

Dec 28, 2011
    Elsmere, KY
    Actually, the Colorado was a choice of mine, but I couldn't find one that was 2012 or newer less than 100k miles to fit into my budget. I considered the Dakota, Canyon, Tacoma but couldn't find any to fit my budget.

7. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    I used an older Chevy Caviller on a Fort Knox youth hunt. I had just got back form Korea and did not have time to purchase a truck. Borrowed a friends car and took my son to the hunt in Area 1 which at the time was a very rough tank trail. Almost did not make it. He shot his first deer and it fit in the back seat.

Another year, my truck broke down and no way was I missing out on a hunt so I used the wife's Honda CRV and it worked just fine. I could fit my climbing stand and a nice buck in the back. A Ford Escape will work just fine.