anybody use a subsoiler?

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by huntr467, Mar 26, 2011.

1. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Just bought a single shank and was wondering how far apart to run the "rows"?

2. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    We subsoil all our fields regularly.Pulling a single shank as deep as possible.Bought an additional 100 acres beside me 2 years ago.This is creek bottom and some upland fields along with woods.Previous owner had never turned soil over 4-6 inches deep and it had a very defined hardpan under plow depth.We subsoiled on 2 ft grid pattern "close as possible /2 ft".Fields that I have subsoiled before ,I usually do a 4-6 ft pattern.Be aware of any buried lines(water,phone,electric).Subsoiling is a good investment in improving your land and it's production capability.

3. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Thanks for the info. We bottom plowed our fields about 4 yrs ago and have been just discing them since. When you say a 2' gird pattern do you mean both direction in the field or just single strips 2' apart the length of the field? How fast or slow do you need to go?

4. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    On a field that has never been subsoiled ,I go in both directions.Some say this is overkill,but it helps to insure that you breakup the hardpan.Speed--It depends on how bad a hardpan you have,I try to go at a speed that allows me to pull subsoiler as deep as possible without jerking the guts out of tractor and myself.I have a 60 hp Kubota 4 wheel drive,usually go in 3rd gear /low range/4 wheel drive.If your subsoiler doesn't have a shearpin,be prepared to thump the steering wheel if you hit anything that subsoiler won't rip through(Stumps,hugh rocks,ledges,buried well casing,etc.). I have found that if you operate at a speed that leaves you with addition power ,when you hit a harder spot,you can power on through without having to raise subsoiler to surface,which defeats the purpose of subsoiling.

5. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Yeah most people I have seen using one runs in just one direction. How do you rate the hardpan? I have seen guys shove a rod in their plot etc. We have a 70 hp Kubota as well. So that give me a good idea of speed.
    We are planning on subsoiling this year in some plots that will need to be disced and planted. Should we subsoil then disc or disc then subsoil? I was thinking subsoiling, then driving the tractor over it to disc would be counter productive?
    I read where subsoiling can help drian water that lays in fields, have you noticed this?
    Sorry about all the questions. just something I know nothing about.

6. KTF

KTF Fawn

Jul 9, 2005
    I subsoil first then plow or disk.When you subsoil the correct way,there will be a ridge up to a ft high pop up where the subsoiler goes through ground.This is a good indicator that you are busting the hardpan up .I pull subsoiler as deep as possible-usually buried to the beam.Anytime you run equipment over field it will slowly compact soil again.I usually subsoil fields about every 2-3 years.Subsoiling will help reduce standing water-breakup the hardpan and water can go down in soil.Seems where we subsoil ,crops can stand drought better also.I figure the harder it is to pull subsoiler through ground,the more pronounced the hardpan.Be sure to keep a good plow point on subsoiler,they wear pretty fast . Always try to pull subsoiler in straight lines,not following the contures of fields.Puts a lot less strain on tractor 3rd arm and implement lift arms.

7. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Run it on the end rows and turn arounds. Got a 10 or 12 shank chisel plow that is about all my little tractor can handle if I am busting a pan. I try to do it in the fall to let the ground open up and soak in lots of winter moisture.

This year my field turned really well.