Anybody hunt hogs?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Littlephil, Jun 17, 2016.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Are they tasty? I remember so.eone killing one in Henry county

2. Cky hunter

Cky hunter Fawn

Feb 24, 2016
  3. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    I am thinking about spending a weekend this Feb hunting hogs. I hear that's the best time to hunt them.

4. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Is that going to be in Kentucky or somewhere else @LoneArrow?

5. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Scott County
    Yeah, I'm looking at Big South Fork. Rough terrain, but apparently they have a population worth hunting.

Littlephil likes this.
  6. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Good luck!

7. cKYCUR

cKYCUR Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
    Im sure some of us will take a scheduled trip down there to ya to go "hog huntin" if you have a place to put us up. We will take care of them pesky swine for ya for sure.

8. cKYCUR

cKYCUR Fawn

Nov 22, 2016
  9. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    We got them but we don't go purposely looking for them very often. We killed one last week

10. Yes but it also has a smell that is all its own, lol. 20 odd years ago, I hunted hogs in the Big South Fork area with a large group. We saw sign, and hog wallers but nobody out of 20 hunters spotted a pig. Later the following year we bagged 7 in Telico, TN using dogs. I bagged a 325 lb all black boar that day who now graces the wall in my living room. It was one of the most exciting and action packed hunts, I ever went on. One thing I noticed is that they are nocturnal and hard to spot in daylight unless you stepped on them. They are very destructive and great to eat. I regularly hunt Rowan, Carter, Fleming and Floyd County and have never seen any sign of them in those locations. If they are present, you will know it. The ground will look like it has been tilled with a roto-tiller. If you plan to hunt them, look for sign, and seek them in cool shady, wet places, generally in the low lying spots in the valleys. You can bait if you want. That may or may not draw them in. Good luck.

Irish

11. Sialia67

Sialia67 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2008
    Rowan County
    Hey Phil - The information on that link seems inaccurate to me. Kentucky is definitely not a destination state for hog hunting. I live on the northern end of the Daniel Boone National Forest and it does not have hogs except for that portion that others have mentioned down on the border next to Tennessee. Without a doubt there are some scattered pockets of feral pigs in the state. The Ky Dept of Fish and Wildlife actively eradicates hogs through trapping where populations start up. Landowners can get help to get rid of them. The USDA Wildlife Services is also active in Kentucky to help kill hogs. I believe that they have used helicopter shooting to back up the trapping efforts. This proactive eradication effort is probably the reason that hogs have not spread like wildfire across the state. You should visit Kentucky to enjoy some excellent spring turkey hunting. There should be a boatload of 2 year old gobblers in the woods this spring!

12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I don't live in Fla just visiting. I saw a few, not as many as last summer, when I went for a week at Thanksgiving as well.

13. ETHAN ROBINSON

ETHAN ROBINSON Fawn

Jan 30, 2017
    I have been to 4 Amigos ranch with my cousin. It was great. I shot a nice small pig and my cousin shot a decent sized boar. We are checking a contest and want to ask if anyone heard about it:
    Taurus Wild Boar Hunting Contest
    13 – 19 August 2017
    ***The team with the greatest total weight of up to their five heaviest boars over 150 pounds wins the main competition
    GRAND PRIZE
    1st place will be awarded $30000
    2nd place will be awarded $20000
    3rd place will be awarded $15000
    Included in your entry is a chance to win two additional side pots for
    ***Largest Boar ($15000) and Longest Cutter ($15000)***