Anybody hunt hogs?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Littlephil, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    I believe you about how destructive they are for sure. I've seen a few small farm hogs get loose for a few hours before and couldn't believe how much they tore up in a short amount of time. I've seen pictures of damage to fields and woods from hogs coming through farmers properties down south and it's crazy how much just one bunch can tear up.

We supposedly have some in southern Ohio, but reports tend to be few and far between. I figure if can find some hogs somewhere and kill a few, that'll be a few less breeders to reproduce. Although from what I hear, they multiply like rabbits, or worse.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find some public ground in or near those counties that my buddy and I can hunt one of these days.

2. Amanda

Amanda Fawn

Mar 29, 2016
    Daviess County
    I've heard Daniel Boone is a good place to find them but I don't wanna make that kind of drive and come home empty handed. I'm planning on scouting out some spots to deer/turkey hunt at Peabody tomorrow, I'm thinking about bringing my bow just in case I come across any coyotes or pigs.

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Have probably saw 40-50 right off the road in Florida over the last couple weeks. Most were small, probably piglets, but they are definitely here!

4. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Let us know if you see anything @Amanda, I'd sure be interested to hear of anything.

I'd really like to make it down to Florida to hunt some hogs @xbokilla, but it'll probably be quite a while before I can sneak off that far. :rolleyes:

5. bowtechhunter

bowtechhunter 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2009
    Elizabethtown
    I hope I never see any around here.

Capttrae likes this.
  6. Thumper23

Thumper23 Spike

Jul 28, 2014
    Graves County
    This...I would rather hunt them somewhere else. Like capptrae said, they're good eatin, but that's about all they're good for.

Littlephil likes this.
  7. MudSeason

MudSeason Fawn

Jul 16, 2016
    I have been wanting to hog hunt myself. Would be a blast. And make some sausage. Lived in central KY my whole life. Never seen any hogs.

8. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    My father killed a big one several years ago in Greenup Co...big black boar with serious tusks which currently intimidates a wall in the master bedroom of my cabin in SE KY (D Mullins, on this forum was the taxidermist)...the property owner had out trail cameras and showed my brother (who worked with the owner's wife) and dad some pictures of the better bucks on the place and one boar...

Dad killed the boar on the opening day of gun season and took a big 10 point the next weekend...

To my knowledge, no other boar has been seen or photographed on that farm...

9. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Where are the biggest populations in KY. What counties?? Are there any hogs near Crittenden County?

10. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Where are the biggest populations in KY. What counties?? Are there any hogs near Crittenden County?

11. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    I'm kinda surprised that just one boar hung around the property for that long @Teach Deer. From what I understand, feral hogs are pretty nomadic creatures, which is also why I'm surprised that they aren't more widespread. But regardless, it sounds like that was a good season for your dad!

12. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    He had a really impressive season that year...I went with him to that farm the third weekend (I had already killed my buck) and we both harvested does and helped the farm owner track and retrieve a big 20" spread 8 pt that he shot...

Littlephil likes this.
  13. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Wow, sounds awesome!

14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    There are plenty of places in Texas to hunt hogs for a reasonable price.

15. joint187

joint187 Spike

May 20, 2015
    Seen a few near bowling green and simpson county but nothing in a huntable population.