Anybody gone to Alaska from around here?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by mike007, Dec 15, 2018.

1. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    Anybody gone to Alaska from around here? And what can you tell about it? Cost, experiences, what to do and not do, ect. I'd like to plan a trip for next fall and any info I can get is appreciated.

2. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    I used to live up there. Everything is really expensive. As an out of stater, you can legally hunt Moose, Caribou and Black Bear with over the counter tags. If you want to hunt bear, go in the spring, so you can bait. Moose season is generally anywhere from 10 to 20 days long during the first part of September. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you could do a float hunt where you get dropped off by plane and float down a river to a pre-arranged pickup point. Or you could fly up, rent a truck, and drive to road accessible areas.

3. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Check out forums.outdoorsdirectory.com. It's the Alaska version of this site.

4. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    Now that float trip sounds pretty good. Got any recommendations? There seems to be so many options, it's mind boggling. I'd like to do some fishing too. What about those forest service cabins, know anything about those? Also since you mentioned rentals, who should I rent a truck or suv from?, I hear that you need to reserve far in advance. Thanks for your info.

5. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    I've made a lot of trips over the past 30 years....I've been as far north as Denali and to Homer on the end of the Kenai. I've also driven - and taken the ferry - to Valdez. I've also taken the ferries to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka.

For fishing and/or sightseeing, my recommendation would be to be there over the 4th of July....and you really want to see the sights.

Last time - July, 2018 - we fished for Kings on the Kenai (very disappointing) and for halibut, rockfish, lingcod and salmon out of Homer.

Tell me more about exactly what you want to do.

Meantime, check this out.....

hotdog and rabbit dawg like this.
  6. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Not personally. I only went on a few moose hunts in the road accessible areas. I never rented a vehicle, but as I understand it, all of the major rental car companies up there will rent you four wheel drive vehicles with the expectation that you will take them down dirt roads during hunting season. I think there are extra fees if you tear them up too bad, but I'm sure you can buy trip insurance to cover that in advance.

7. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    Man that's a cool video, what a beautiful place! I've been thinking about what I want to do the most. I had it on my mind to get get dropped off at a remote cabin on a good fishing river for 3 or 4 days. If I combined that with a bear hunt all the better. ( in fact I wouldn't mind doing this a couple of times while I'm there) But I can come back for the bears if I need too. I also want to rent an suv and spend a week or two just driving around to see the state, maybe stopping and fishing where I can. That river float trip that dan99 mentioned is on my mind now too, so I might think about doing that, maybe a 2 or 3 day one. Looks like there's some remote cabins south and southeast of Anchorage that would suit. Maybe you know some particular ones.

8. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    About how much do you think the float plane drop offs would cost? Is there a place to rent a boat to do this? Any particular river do you think would make a good 2 or 3 day float trip like this?

9. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    If you want to float a river, the MOST important thing to do is to make sure that someone will actually be there to pick you up when you finish. I've heard stories of folks who contracted with an independent bush pilot who had a heart attack while they were fishing. No one knew where to pick them up....

A couple of services that have been there for a long time are linked below....I had a contract with Rusts to fly into a remote area for some king fishing one year, but the state shut down the fishing the weekend before our trip. Our trip had to be cancelled. They gave me my entire deposit back.

There are many good rivers in Alaska. (Did you know that Alaska is the only state with more miles of rivers and streams than Kentucky?) It depends on what you want to catch. The flying services can direct you to the best river for the type of fishing you want to do and the time of year you will be there.

By far the best float trips I've ever been on have been on the Gulkana and Gakona rivers which are tributaries of the Copper river. Take the Alaska State Ferry from Whittier to Valdez (breathtaking scenery through the heart of Prince William Sound) and drive about 150 miles north to get there. The guide I used for the trip isn't in business any more, but the days I spent with him on those rivers were some of the best days (not just fishing days, best days) I've ever had. There are four 16-18,000 ft. peaks you see (on a clear day) from the rivers....again, breathtaking.

Fishing guides generally run about $400 - 500 per day. And, like everything else, there are some really good ones and some really bad ones. I've had both. You can fish without a guide - they call it combat fishing - and you can catch fish. Fishing for reds on the Kenai or Russian river just past Soldotna is my favorite place to do this.

A good link for the cabins you mentioned is below as well. When I go to Alaska I almost always fly in to Anchorage and - in Alaska - I really like the Best Western chain of hotels. If I'm spending a couple of nights in Anchorage, I'll usually upgrade, but the Best Western's are clean, comfortable and in most of the places I like to go.

http://www.alaska.net/~ketchum/KETCHUMFLYINALASKA.OLD

https://www.flyrusts.com/

http://www.alaska.org/advice/public-use-cabin-contact-information

If you are serious about bear hunting - which I've never done - I'd recommend that you look at Kodiak island. For a reputable guide (you are required to have a guide) in an area where you enough time to have a good chance of taking a bear you are looking at $15 - 20,000. I have a good friend who took a very nice brown bear on Kodiak. He said it was the most scared he's ever been. Tracking a wounded grizzly (just he and his guide - 30 miles out on a snow machine) in deep snow and then waiting with the downed bear for about four hours while his guide went back to retrieve the snow machine as the wolves closed in.

mike007 likes this.
  10. Dan99

Dan99 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2015
    Most float trips I've heard of are at least a week. Very pricey, usually anywhere from $6000-$8000.

mike007 likes this.
  11. childersb24

childersb24 6 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    Me and the wife Just got back in August. Went on a cruise though didn’t hunt or fish. Went to Seattle Washington for 2 days then got on the ship for 7 more. We went to Ketchikan, Jeuno, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjords, and Victoria British Columbia. The cruise was 3800 for both of us that included alcohol and anything else you wanted. I’d say I spent 6-6500 after it was all said and done. If you do a cruise do yourself a favor and get on the back of the ship with a balcony. You get to see everything the captain sees without leaving your room and without going to the top of the ship to see. Iv always got a balcony on the left or right side of the ship and for open water traveling that was ok but going to Alaska mountains on both sides I stayed on the balcony sight seeing without dealing with the crowds upstairs on top. The trip was awesome but we’ve talked and decided that when we go back we will fly into anchorage and rent a vehicle and drive to Denali. Hope this helps.

12. mike007

mike007 Fawn

Aug 16, 2018
    glasgow
    That's some things to know. And some good links, I'll contact them and see what they say. One thing I was thinking about is what to do with all my other gear. Is there a place to store it in the towns while you are out doing something like this and will be gone a few days?

13. timer

timer 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    If you are taking a float trip, the guide/air service you use will be able to help.

mike007 likes this.
  14. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    I did this with my son and had a great time. Hate to admit it but I wasn't prepared for the trip. Even though we were just sightseeing I should have had supplies (water, survival stuff, bear spray, handgun) in the car. The drive from Anchorage to Denali is fantastic but don't underestimate it like I did. It's big country and REMOTE. Don't assume that a restaurant or gas station will be around every corner - it won't be. Could be 100 miles or more apart! A "restaurant" may be advertised by a homemade spray painted sign on plywood. Simply saying PIZZA with an arrow pointing down a rough gravel road. We didn't have any issues but I felt foolishly unprepared and half expected to be the moron on the news that went into the wilderness with nothing and had to be rescued. We had a blast and look forward to going back. Next time, I'll put up with the airline hassle and take adequate supplies. Also, related to rental car - get as big as you can. Moose are huge and we saw several on and right next to the road. Traffic was very light north of Talkeetna and cell service was almost non-existent. You could be bad screwed for a while if you have car trouble or crash into something.

mike007, bondhu and childersb24 like this.
  15. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    sat phones are your friend up there.

mike007 likes this.