Anybody getting pumped up for Crow season?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Steelsetter, Aug 25, 2014.

1. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    back in the woods you see
    [​IMG]
    Got rained out early but managed to get a few!!
    We did get the game warden called because someone thought we were shooting doves early. It was all good though and he was a real nice guy!

2. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Two down, and 4 got skeert real bad.

Man, the heat and humidity were bad. Walked 6 miles, set up 6 or 8 times on the ridgetops, had one group of 5 come in with no shots offered because some idiot set up in the dense forest, later the same group came in to a better set up and one fell and another lost feathers, then another place a single came in wide, circled, and left, then at the final set up a pair came in and only one flew away. 6 shots fired, two birds down. Don't have the shootin' eye sharpened yet.

3. Xcal1ber

Xcal1ber 12 pointer

Jul 16, 2011
    Couple ridges over
    Love crow hunting, but we always go later on in the year.

4. Got 6, my buddy got 2 and we should have had at least a dozen.

Was a great day to be hunting.

5. Was coyote hunting and having no luck. I heard Crows of in the distance all around. I usually take the AR and Shotgun on stand but for some reason I only had the AR with me. I used PossumAl's Ninja like movements to get back to the UTV and grab my Stoger and 3" Hornady Coyote Magnum BB's.

I switched to my Crow Calls on the FoxPro CS24C and ended up bagging 8 crows. We call them in a lot when hunting Old Wiley but I never have hunted them. I didn't do a very good job of killing the first Crow I shot and he landed fairly close to my caller and decoy. He was flopping around and calling out like an extra caller. Ran out of ammo but there were still plenty of Crows around. I haven't hunted anything but coyotes for the past 30 years but this was a pretty exciting hunt. I think I'll read up on the Crow some and watch a few video's and give it another try in the near future.

6. Watch out Yote Yoda, it is pretty addictive!

7. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    We went out today and got 12 more, really windy with a lot of high flyers!

8. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  9. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    what do you do with those crow? just fertilize the fields with them?

10. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    We have a fellow who uses them for catfish bait. My buddy freezes them and then takes them to the guy. They shoot trap together once a week. He says that crow breast is the best catfish bait, apparently it is very oily and the fish love it! Before we started giving them to him we left em for the other critters to eat!

11. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Whacked 4 with my brother on Saturday. High flyers, and only found singles and a couple of pairs. Bad shooting has to be fixed or the numbers will be low this year. Should have had 3-4 more.

12. Bowfishing1982

Bowfishing1982 Fawn

Sep 14, 2014
    I love crow hunting. I got a new caller & tried a sniper technique I read about with the .22. I had them all over me for about 30 min. I should have brought the shotgun though. Lol after that it was hard to calm down & shoot squirrels. image.jpg

13. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Please elaborate.

14. Gun7alk

Gun7alk 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I didn't get real excited about the crow opener this year like I usually do. Haven't had a chance to get out yet, to many other things going on.

It is a lot of fun though. Never know how they'll respond. Some days they'll drop right in on top of you and others they won't pay attention to my calls at all. I'd really like to find a major flyway and kill some real big numbers though.

Trust me, I've found the best way to use the "sniper method" is to set up in big open woods and call friendly sounding with a single hand call. They'll usually come in and land in a tree nearby. I've killed quite a few that way.

15. crowhunter

crowhunter 6 pointer

Sep 4, 2012
    Jackson & Winchester
    I only got to go twice this season up here in Michigan and got 7 one day and 1 another. I don't see the numbers like I did in Ky. Maybe they have flown south. Sure do miss my ol huntin buddies down there.
    DSCN5427.jpg