Anybody found a better hoist system?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by theprofessor, Aug 21, 2019.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    I have bought two of those gambrel sets from Harbor freight and from Walmart. That’s probably the start of the problem. The triangle is fine, but the pulleys are pretty flimsy and when I looked at other pulley systems at TSC and elsewhere, there are either two-ton or just look like equally flimsy stamped metal.

What do you guys use to get a deer in the air? I should add, I can’t do this in a garage and I don’t have a truck that I could use for a hitch-mounted system. Pretty much looking to hang this off a tree by myself.

Thanks, as always!

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  2. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    FC62DAE7-562B-477B-9107-CD7C9EF5A7B6.jpeg We have a chain hoist and use the triangle from an old gambrel.
    $50 bucks but won’t break.

3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I’ve got a block chained to a tree limb, about 1/3 of a shot of 1/8 cable run though the block one end has a hook the other end has the gambrel, put the deer on the gambrel, hook the other end to a vehicle or atv then just drive off

kyoutdoorsman and Genesis 27:3 like this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    4 wheeler winch and an old rope we’ve been using for years. Find a nice strong tree limb.

5. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    We've always used the cheap gambrell hoists and hung them from barn rafters. Run just a rope if we're somewhere we dont have a hoist. You looking to give away the 2 you have?? :D

6. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 10 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Look up rural King deer hoist

7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 8 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Ky
    I use chain fall and the metal gambrel triangle. Works perfect

8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    A piece of 1/2" or 5/8" rebar bent into shape will give you a better gambrel than any you can buy. As far as pulleys go..tsc has some stouter ones. I use either a boat winch or come-along for pulling them up.

Munson likes this.
  9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Chain hoist indoors. A rope over a limb and pulled up with my four wheeler outside.

hunt likes this.
  10. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    Put a choker or a chain short around a limb.hook your chain hoist on it.

11. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I use the Kubota and 2 meat hooks on chains!

carnivore and preachnhunt like this.
  12. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I just throw the rope over the limb and hook it to the back of the ranger/truck to pull it up.

xbokilla likes this.
  13. Velvet ears

Velvet ears 6 pointer

Nov 6, 2013
    West KY
    The $100 electric winches from Harbor Freight work better than anything I have done in the past.

mwezell likes this.
  14. Flash5150

Flash5150 Spike

Nov 30, 2006
    you can get a chain fall from Harbor Freight for around $50 or maybe less with a coupon or sale. Works great.

15. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I'd be willing to bet the issue really is with the nylon rope that comes with it and wants to twist and get all tangled up. My advice would be to try some different rope, or at least stretch the one that came with it out to try to get some of the twist out of it.

As for using one if the field, I bring the gambrel system and short tie down strap--not a rachet strap, but the kind that has the buckle to pull the strap through. I put that strap around the tree branch and then put the hook from the pulley onto that strap. After that, I've both manually pulled them up, and have tied the end to the truck hitch and pulled them up that way. I guess it depends on how wore out I am from the drag.

As for an alternative, I've use a tobacco stick, clothesline, and a locking pulley (only lets you pull through it one way unless you hit the switch). I still keep that set up and keep it in the back of the truck come the season in case I need something in the field, or need something to lend to someone.