Anybody ever do Deer Drives?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by KYBOY, Sep 28, 2020.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    We use to on my family's place in Michigan. My papaw owned a couple big farms. Family would start on one end of the field while the shooters where on the back end. Maybe one on the side. It was all shotgun hunting so 00 and 000 buck were what was mainly used. Kept shots around 30-35 yards. Often 20 yards or less.(Though now with some of the buckshot specific tubes they are shooting crazy good 50 yard groups) and watch them big fat does roll like rabbits. In its own way it was a lot of fun.
    It reminded of a hog killing. Everybody would chip in and clean the deer that were killed and have fun..

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Timholt70 and JR PORTER like this.
  2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    We use to back when we had one doe day. We would drive a couple farms and share the bounty. Was lots of fun for a 14 15 year old kid. Seen all types of critters run out. Fox coyotes was really scarce then and if you saw one it was talked about for days. Never hear about them anymore. Takes quite a few people. It’s just me and a buddy now and my son. We had 8-10 people back then

KYBOY likes this.
  3. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Amish. They do this stuff all the time with Deer and Coyotes. They skin and stretch a $5 Coyote hide.

4. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    When I was a kid we'd do it last week of gun season on Peabody, every year. 6 or 8 of us usually, would drop off in the thickest draws we could find in the middle of those huge fescue fields. Whoever still had buck tags was a stander at the head of the draw. Seen alot of big deer killed on them pushes back then. By the last week all the deer were holed up in those creek beds like rabbits. All I ever shot were does if we weren't too far from the truck. But the only 200" deer I've ever laid hands or seen first hand was killed on one of those drives.
    Damn I miss those days. Everybody in Carhartt bibs and leather gloves to save your hide from the sawbriers. All my dad's rowdy friends have settled down, and him too lol. I may try to get a group together this year myself, I damn sure will when Jr is big enough.

Southpaw, Nock, Munson and 2 others like this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Need enough land and people that get along.
    Who's going to open up their land for drives?

6. Hunter carpenter

Hunter carpenter Fawn

Oct 7, 2019
    Fleming county ky.
    When I hint there's four of us and we walk out some thickets or grown up pasture fields.

7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Never have. Sure it’d be fun though

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Had my neighbor cuss me for not shooting at a running doe he pushed across a power line clearing 200 yards away. Never got her in my scope. Told me i should have let couple fly and might have gotten luckyo_O i stopped hunting with that guy.
    I participated in a few drives 15 or 20 years ago, never amounted to much and didnt see deer in the area after(as expected)

Trophyspike and HeadedWest like this.
  9. woodsman92

woodsman92 10 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I don’t have the land or hunting buddy’s to do a drive but hope someday I will get to participate in one

10. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Tried a couple drives years ago. Didn’t like them. I like trying to outsmart a big buck not scare them into running out. As far as a doe where I hunt so easy to kill that driving them just be a waste of time and stinking up the woods. Just not a fan of it. Great for those who like it.

11. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Killed alot of deer doing drives! it works but I was just a young punk back then and loved shooting, now if I know someone who want a couple of deer I will do it but I've gotten awful soft and won't shoot unless the doe is alone!
    The older I get i i realize my life is on the down hill slide and I let stuff walk unless it's old or a coyote!
    I usually let the coyotes walk so I can call them in though, I love killing them thing!

12. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Was the only way to hunt em growing up. We had 26 guys in our group. Some drive would be near a mile long a flanker along the road, one along the power line. Guy on road would have to hide if a car came! LOL! Did very well
    with the drives. IF you weren't in shape first day you would be much better by the end of the week! Lots of up and down! So much fun

jblack1, bondhu and Meatstick like this.
  13. keeruss8

keeruss8 6 pointer

Jun 19, 2016
    Marrowbone
    Growing up in Michigan that was a thanksgiving or last couple day thing every year. By that time of season we had permission to to push all our neighbors land. Isn’t like that anymore. We mostly pushed corn fields and small wood lots or thickets

14. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I’ve dogged several times in these knott co hills. Most turned up with not even a deer sighting. But one drive worked but my novice bil never fired a shot. I set him up in a stretch of timber.; one side a gas line, other a high wall. I went 300 yards from him and started walking. Obviously the deer couldn’t go up the hill. It was thick. I coulda killed the deer. He actually pushed it to me. It was a descent looking deer; most likely an 8 pt. When it saw me it we back straight towards him. No shot. He seen it but he said he was waiting on it to stop.

15. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Oh the stories I could tell lol. Used to be traditional last day, take stands down, then bust the thickest little draws we had access to. Lots of fun if there's a pinch point to put standers/shooters. It's got its ups&downs sure but we had enough guys to walk fairly close and always where you could see your fellow drivers orange. That made it safer keeping drivers on the same pace. Was always good for a few kills and fun. Ive seen some good marksmen and some crazy luck shots as well. We've lost most of spots you could do it safely. My great uncle wanted to do it everyday bc he had one lung and a pile of health issues, I think because its the way or best odds when there wasn't any deer back when he started huntin.
    Some ppl will always pi$$ on others way of hunting bc it doesn't match up with theirs. Truth is lots of those deer was heading to surrounding farms for better opportunities for them.

jblack1, barney, carnivore and 2 others like this.