Anybody ever buy a car/truck on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Brutus Hedgeapple, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    I'm lookin around for a new to me used truck. I found what I want on Ebay but have never done any business there. Anyone ever buy a car/truck from there and how did it go?
    I got the used vehicle report and it was good. I contacted the seller and he answered my questions. My wife is the one who is makin me think harder about this.

I'm about to scream cause I found what I'm lookin for but just don't know if I wanna take the plunge.

Thanks,
    Brutus

2. Snareman2

Snareman2 12 pointer

Feb 25, 2007
    Weigh it out. How far is it? Can you go take a look or test drive? There are some honest people in this world, however there are some not so honest also. Good Luck

p.s. I have a friend that sold a truck on ebay. He got a great price on it, after the bidding was over, alot more than he had expected. Anyway, the buyer was from another state, and apparently really wanted it. He drove down, loaded said item on his trailer and away he went, happy the whole time.

3. kison

kison BBBC Members

Sep 27, 2002
    Nicholasville
    If it's a dealership, it's not too bad. I've purchased a few off ebay. If you can swing a third party inspection or inspect yourself, then you can get a deal. Just remember, buyer beware, do you homework.

4. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I have a friend that sold a Mustang Cobra in a rare factory Chamelion color on there and made a mint on it.

My boss has sold one truck and bought one from there. The truck that he bought came from Alabama. About 2 hours from home, the thing spun a bearing and threw a rod. When he opened up the motor, it was apparent that the thing had been patched up well enough to make a sale without flying apart. It was also apparent that the oil had never been changed on a regular basis. He was fairly sick over it. He wound up finding a nearly new motor at a local salvage yard and still wound up with a decent truck, just one with a hair more money in it than it is worth.

5. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    If you have never bought anything on Ebay, that means you have no feedback. Feedback is how buyers and sellers are rated. As a buyer, I wouldn't even mess with a seller who has less than 98% feedback or just a couple of sales. READ ALL OF THEIR FEEDBACK! You can learn what type of seller they are. Many times you will see negative feedback saying, "Item not as described". Stay away if the seller has a couple of those.

Most sellers, especially with large items such as a car, will not mess with buyers with little or no feedback. If it's something you are serious about, contact the seller and ask if he will accept your bid even if you have no feedback.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  6. headoftheholler

headoftheholler 12 pointer

Oct 16, 2007
    Getshot, KY
    My uncle is retired and restores old cars, I've sold a '64 impala conv, a '66 mustang conv. and a 68 GTO for him on ebay. All together around $85K. The best advice I can give you from a sellers perspective is the more pic's the better, I always put 30 or more pics on each listing and we have always given the buyer a chance to back out upon inspection as long as they pay my listing fees. If you go into ebay motors, search by distance first and then look at what is around you for less than 100 miles or so, makes it easier to look at before plunking down the cash.

7. treerat

treerat 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2004
    Hickory KY
    like art said,,,make sure there is a very high possitive feedback percentage,,,,,i sell a lot on ebay myself,,,when i buy,i find what i want and the first thing i look at is the feedbacks

8. KYHUNTER14

KYHUNTER14 10 pointer

Oct 17, 2004
    Ashland, KY
    I agree with Art and Treerat. Check the feedback. Most of the people on ebay are good people, but the feedback tells the tale. If there is a hint of doubt once you look at the feedback I would walk, that is just me.

9. nitrox28

nitrox28 Banned

Aug 4, 2003
    Lexington, ky, USA.
    Not a car or truck, but I bought a motorcycle. It was in Ohio and I drove up to get it and test ride it. I was really pleased with the experience.

10. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    You want a seller to trust a buyer with no feedback but you should never trust a seller with no feedback? Of course, any negative feedback should be a flag but people like myself would have zero feedback if I wanted to sell a vehicle.

It's just like buying one that you would see sitting in a front yard with a for sale sign in it. Find one that is within your driving distance and check it out to the best of your ability. I'm sure that you could get a lemon from someone with a high positive feedback on ebay as well.

11. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I've looked at several cars/trucks on ebay, and based on what I've seen, very few are a private party sale. Many are made to look as if they are, but usually they're not. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be much more reluctant to buy from a dealer then I would a private party. Some red flags for me would be if someone has only had the vehicle a short time, they're selling it for a friend, or they've just dumped a ton of money into it, but are selling it.

12. Scott7m

Scott7m 12 pointer

Dec 20, 2007
    Carter City, Ky
    i've sold vehicles on ebay as well as bought them.......... look at the feedback and trust your judgment, a salesman can lie to you on a lot just the same as on the net, go there, drive it, and if it's not what you want, tell him to stick it

13. quackrstackr

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I know one other person that bought a car on ebay that I forgot about last night. An '07 Mustang GT.

This thing has every factory bell and whistle imaginable and is in what seems to be a rare color judging by what I have seen on the road. He bought it dirt cheap with practically no miles on it. He actually emailed the guy an offer before the end of the auction and the guy took it without haggle. I'm wanting to say that it was nearly 50% off of book. Of course, he was skeptical as well and had to fly east to pick the car up. He said that he was a nervous wreck the whole time thinking that it was a scam but he had done all of his homework to cover himself should it turn out to be one.

Turns out, it belonged to a foreign contractor with more money than sense. He bought the car for his wife to drive and ordered it with every go fast and appearance option that he could get... and this guy was a sportscar enthusiast. He also ordered it with the manual tranny... he finds out after taking delivery that his wife simply could not (and then refused) to learn how to drive a manual tranny. So the car was just sitting there in his garage next to his foreign luxo sport cars. He wanted it gone so that he could use the space for another (and because his wife made him get rid of it).

This guy got the deal of a century on a really, really sharp car. It's one of those one in ten million ebay finds that you hear about.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  14. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    IVe bought one and sold two.
    Strike up a conversation with the seller and look at the feedback.
    You can definitely figure it out.
    The chances of the exact care you want being available from a good guy are variable so dont get in a hurry or youll regret it.

15. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Didnt Ebay just do away with buyer feedback and only doing feedback on sellers??