Anybody else have a deer donkey!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bdl605, Nov 19, 2020.

1. bdl605

bdl605 6 pointer

Nov 18, 2006
    Lawrenceburg
    just curious about people’s funny hunting rituals, happenings etc. The people across the road from us have an old burro/donkey, one afternoon several years ago I was down in a hollar right across from them and the donkey started braying and 2 minutes later a 150” 11 point comes off his ridge and shot him! Every time I sit there and he brays sure enough I see deer come off that ridge. As time went on I notice I can here him from time to time from the other end of the farm, guess what more times than not if you here that stupid donkey deer count go’s up so he affectionately now is known as the deer donkey around my house lol! Monday morning I here the dam thing raising a stink, now I’m 3/4 mile away as crow flies I set there till 10:30 and hadn’t seen a deer, start packing my stuff and down the ridge comes an old bruiser that was 10 points and had an 12” kicker on left side. Dropped the hammer and bowed to the deer donkey!

Todd H, CRFmxracer, Feedman and 6 others like this.
  2. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    Give him an apple for sure. I listen to the dogs around me. In general neighbors dogs tell me if deer are moving. And my pyrnees tells me is something is moving on my property by barking. Today I watched him do the 200 yard dash in 5 seconds not barking but looking like he was ready to kill and I thought that's odd after 15 minutes I quit looking well a few minutes after that a yote ran through.

3. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    Greenup, ky, USA.
    I will have to try it out here. The two farms that join both sides of me both have one. I can hear them all the time. I've heard them what seems like a million times and I still get tickled when one gets wound up.

4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    My dad use to have a mule that was the best deer indicator; he would run about and bray and watch them.

Anderson10 likes this.
  5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    We’ve got two within earshot of us in Grayson. The boy (10) and I get tickled every time they fire up. They were especially vocal opening weekend. Ours unfortunately never call in deer though.

James Scott White and Anderson10 like this.
  6. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 10 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    Never heard of that but had a billy goat tell me one time which way to go to find the deer! Had a 7 pointer down in about 15 minutes and saw 3 does to boot!

7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Had a horse one time ruin a bow hunt for me. I was doing a sneak on a yearling down a brushy fence row to get on her. Horse that was in field took notice and ran to corner and made all kinds of racket till deer ran off. Don’t know if he was saving the deer or or he thought he was saving me. Ticked me off. I was 15 and would’ve been first bow kill.

CRFmxracer, bdl605 and Anderson10 like this.
  8. Buckkillr

Buckkillr 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2019
    Ohio
    Donkeys are excellent watch dogs. I have one around me too and though I can't see what he's seeing cause I'm across the road but usually see deer, coyote something coming from his direction often when he's fired up

bdl605 and Anderson10 like this.
  9. bearleft

bearleft 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2014
    La Grange KY
    [​IMG]That is almost exactly what happened to me with him in 1999. Donkey started braying like it was possessed, 15-20 min. later he came up out of a 300' deep hollow. My first Buck and still my biggest. 250# live weight, 148" 8 pointer.

Feedman, Buckkillr, bdl605 and 2 others like this.
  10. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Neighbor up the road use to have a donkey. I really liked him during turkey season. He would brag an a turkey would shock gobble.

11. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Donkeys are good turkey locators as are roosters crowing.

12. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    Reminds me of a joke...

Man walks into a bar sits down next to a guy... barkeep says what can I get ya... man orders a beer... barkeep says hey Jackass you want another one to the man next to him... he obliged.
    Time goes by... barkeep comes back ask again and calls the guy a jackass again.
    The man ask the patron “ whys he keep calling you Jackass?”
    The patron reply’s...
    “Hee-haw Hee-haw he always calls me that”

13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Well, there’s a donkey across the road from my place that ain’t reading the script. He just cusses all day.

Feedman likes this.
  14. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Guess I need to start being nicer to the donkeys! Hate them damn things...

15. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

I've got 2 that came to our farm in mid August. Mixed pair. Just showed up and no one will claim them. I don't plan on feeding them hay all winter. FREE to a good home. Any home for that matter! You load them, you take them!