Anybody a RAM truck salesman?

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
I'm looking for some straight answers. In working with dealerships from Southern Ohio to Central KY I'm having some issues on getting straight answers on price.

ptbrauch

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2004
The OC
I just recently bought a car and can tell you that no dealer wants to give you a price over the phone or by email. They want you to come to the dealership. It's because you can't sign papers over the phone.

But the online price you see on the website is their price. Don't bother clicking the "click here for special Internet prices". There's no other price, it's just a way for them to get your email address.

And while you probably won't be able to get them to come down very much, if any, on price, you can probably get them to throw in some services like washes, oil changes, etc.

Iceman35

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2008
Boone County
You can agree to everything on the phone. If they say you can't they're lying. I bought my last 3 cars without ever visiting a dealership, except to test drive and sign the paperwork.

One tried to switch everything and increase the agreed to price. I walked out the door and started for home. They called me back with the agreed to price plus 5 years of free service before I got a block away.

baknblack

12 pointer
Jan 30, 2014
Henry County
Don't know about the trucks but, our 12 journey has been an excellent vehicle.
Use truecar.com it will show you the low, high, and average price paid by buyers in a given region for the same vehicle.

Duster

12 pointer
Dec 14, 2001
Up in the woods above Lake Malone
I have owned a Ram Charger, a Dodge Van, two pickups and all have served me well. Granted I don't drive the latest one much the 03. Just rolled over 73,000 miles on it about a month ago. The others were well over 100,000 when I traded or sold them.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
Concerning new trucks ... I've had 2 -Chevys, 1-GMC , 1-Toyota & 1-Dodge.

The Dodge was a 98 quad cab 4wd with the 5.9. Had 212,000 miles on it when I traded. Other than 3 sets of tires, 2 batteries, oil changes and a starter I had put on literally a few months before I got rid of it.. it rates with me as one of the best trucks I've owned concerning maintenance & dependability.

The only thing I could complain about was fuel mileage ... it got about 12-16 from day one.

Which on the other side of the coin ... the worst truck I owned concerning upkeep was the Toyota 4wd. It was fine till about 60,000 and then it began to dollar & dime me to death. Had a timing chain break , sensors... about everything you could imagine. Honestly kept that truck longer than I should have and probably spent twice what it was worth to keep it running.

Drive a 2008 GMC 4wd regular cab at this time and it been a pretty good one. Had some thermostat issues and minor electronic problems but it's been dependable.

Which I'll probably buy a new one in a couple more years ..been getting the itch lately. It will be between a Dodge & GM. But you can get the good or bad with any of them.

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
Here's a straight answer for you. Ram is the worst truck on the market. You get what you pay for.
I had three of them, well two rams and a Dakota. The worst trucks Ive ever had in my life..They could not keep front steering linkage under them. two of them did the same thing with the rear end. The rear end locked up and destroyed everything under the truck..My last one was a 2008 with about 1k miles over the warrenty..They actually had a recall starting with trucks about 3 months newer than mine on the exact thing that happened to mine and they would not honor the recall.
My last one locked up on the highway, broke the drive shaft,tore the transmission apart,destroyed the transfer case and bellhousing. there was pieces of transfer case strewn for 100' down the road. A man who lives about a mile down the roads 2009 did the same thing but the recall covered his..
Probably just a lot of bad luck but its enough for me to never want to drive another one again..I also had a Toyota 4wd that had a whole lot more problems than it should.Changed the water pump three times,leaking oil pan,and a tie rod end all before 100K .Now all that said Ive owned no less than a dozen trucks in my life of just about every make. The best luck Ive had personally has been ford.

7mmx2

12 pointer
Nov 8, 2007
KY
Thanks for the responses I have had a 94 dakota with 212k on it, 06 dakota with 170k on it. I'm Mopar to the core. I was able to haggle them $11k off the MSRP for a 2017. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles but the price is nice. I think it is time to pull string and buy it.

Snareman2

12 pointer
Feb 25, 2007
I will take a Chevy, thank you. I've had my z71 for over 16 years as a personal truck. I have had two brand new Fords as work trucks, glad they were not on my dime. Both had power pack issues, one had a rust issue, the other required a new engine at 60k, numerous other problems. I've had Dodges too, they run good at first till you get some age and miles on them. Over 100k, frontend problems and transmission trouble.

Latest posts