Any y'all Ever Use DDT??

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by JR in KY, Aug 15, 2019.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    You would think it's the most poisonous substance know to man, but after reading about it it seems it is NOT. Seems it was banned because of the very long half life, and its effect on eagle egg shells of Predator Birds, with it's banning pushed by the Tree Huggers.

Found a few pounds and maybe going to use it to control Face Flies on cattle. The instructions say use 6 Tablespoons per Gallon.
    Don't sound very poison to me. 6 Tablespoons? Thats a lot.
    I used Ravap for many years, which is now banned. Great stuff.

Permethrin is not very effective, even tripple the dosage.

davers, barney and Dark Cloud like this.
  2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Wow
    Didn't know any of that stuff was still around.
    I remember hearing guys talk about how well it worked.

barney likes this.
  3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    More people have died around the world since the banning of ddt then ever did from it.

The book Silent spring and it's author Rachel Carson had a lot to do with it's banning.

Ataulbe1 and barney like this.
  4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    When I was a teen my brother in law put some around his house. You never seen so many dead bugs in your life. DEADLY!

5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    We used DDT and 7 dust, back in the day - killed every bug in sight!

ojibwa62 likes this.
  6. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Probably been a lot of good products that worked good, banned for nonsense,or misuse ,I remember dad spraying for flies around the barn ,with an old hand spray ,looked like an old bicycle pump with a big round container on it.

barney likes this.
  7. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Sorry but when I here DDT I think of old school WWF wrestling, “look out mean Jean he’s going to DDT him, “ was a nasty move , head plant on the mat with some big heavy guy pushing down on ya, so the chemicals must have been some mean stuff lol

8. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I remember when I was a kid on vacation with my family in Florida in the early 60s, they had spray trucks and fogging trucks driving slow around towns spraying that stuff on a schedule. The rate of insect borne diseases went up sharply in tropical and subtropical countries after the ban.

9. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    the new hand, dusting, pumps aint as good as the old ones. got one for 7 dust, and DE earth.
    i was going to call it a duster, which is what it is, but that other, "sensitive thread", prevents me, from doing so..

10. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Maybe if DDT was still available, in some form, would kill off these pesky Asian Beetles (ladybugs) that swarm every October. Might even control Ticks and Midges that carry E.H.D. too! As with any insecticide, if handled and applied with care, it should not harm the environment, as there are other chemicals, on the market today, that are doing far more damage.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  11. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i think the asian beetles, are the ones, that look like smaller june bugs.. the best way to get rid of them, is give your aggravating neighbor, a bug trap, that attracts them, thus keeping them away from you property. far as i know, ladybugs are red, the brownish-orange bugs, aggravating as they are, are still garden friendly, and the green ones, best to squash them, when ya can. ya might want to double check this...

ojibwa62 likes this.
  12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Another insecticide that was banned ,( probably worked too good)
    " Chlordane" used mainly as a termiticide and ant control, once applied it lasted a looooong time. But unsubstantiated environmental concerns got it pulled. You can go under some old homes and still smell it, but guess what ? They seldom have termites.

13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Don't have a problem with Japanese Beetles, but in October, and after the first cold spell, these Asian Beetles Ladybugs come in in huge swarms.

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Those lady bugs are good bugs though. They eat the bad bugs.

15. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    DDT supposed to be good for about anything that flies, walks or crawls.

It Did kill the hell out of the Cattle flies. Now to see how long it lasts. May run down to Walmart and get 5#.
    You know, i bet Walmarts in Mexico have it on the shelf.

00noturkey, barney and ojibwa62 like this.