Any Saddle Hunters on Here?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BoTheHunter, Oct 21, 2020.

1. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I pissed off the last crotch sling poster so I'm not going to go on a rant. Maybe it's just me with my old ass, football, and general life injuries but there is nothing about a crouch sling that sounds interesting to me. I like to stand most of the time but I like to switch it up a few times a sit. Stand, sit, stretch my legs out off of the platform. Slowing shuffle my feet to watch the other direction. Hunkering down to try to get warm with a thermos of coffee. I just don't see myself sitting more than a few hours in a sling that's pressuring my low hanging balls in a grade school swing. Any pressure for a long period of time causes something on me to go to sleep and hurt like hell.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    JDMiller and BoTheHunter like this.
  2. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I’ll stick with my Hawk kickback and hawk helium sticks. When I use the bracket I can hang a set in about 10-12 minutes. And sit in the comfortable sob for hours on end. Ever since I made the switch to hawk stands I’m in love. The hawk Denali 1.5 is a dream as well.

BoTheHunter and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  3. Buckkillr

Buckkillr 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2019
    Ohio
    I'm trying it this year for the first time, I built mine and kept changing it just a little to make it the most comfortable for me and for me it's not comfortable to just sit in it and hang so I use a small platform and basically use the saddle to lean against. It's probably a 70/30% with most being on my legs and to be honest I can hunt longer being in the saddle vrs a hang-on treestand and can get in tree's that would be impossible for a tree stand without cutting away all your cover. I was a skeptic but really do like it better.

4. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    I’m still undecided on mine. I’ve hunted out of it a dozen times now, sometimes fairly comfortable and other times not comfortable at all. I don’t believe I know how to adjust it very well. But even the couple times I think I had it adjusted correctly I wouldn’t want to do a all day sit. The saddle is very handy for just throwing in your pack heading into public land not knowing where your gonna set up, then when you find the right spot you can set up on about any tree there.
    I got drawed for the quota hunt this year, and I’m taking my climber for the comfort to sit all day

BoTheHunter likes this.
  5. 5831

5831 Fawn

Sep 24, 2014
    This is my 3rd year in a saddle. I’ve been 100% saddle on public land. I sit dawn-dusk all of The rut.
    it’s not as comfortable as a cushy climber, but a hell of a lot lighter to pack. I lean 70% of the time, and use a platform. I tried a ring of steps, and wild edge steps. They just weren’t for me.

useyourbow and BoTheHunter like this.
  6. BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter Fawn

Oct 15, 2019
    Hopkins County
    What
    What saddle do you have?

7. BoTheHunter

BoTheHunter Fawn

Oct 15, 2019
    Hopkins County
    Any of yall have a platform you want to sell?

8. woodsman92

woodsman92 8 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Mine is actually a sling. It is the treehopper recon sling

BoTheHunter likes this.
  9. 5831

5831 Fawn

Sep 24, 2014
    I’ve been using a lone wolf hand climber seat this year. They are readily available, and works just like a climbing treestand, as your platform and climbing method.

BoTheHunter likes this.
  10. GTbowhunter

GTbowhunter 6 pointer

Aug 26, 2020
    Owensboro
    Nah, Im staying traditional. Saddle hunters are a crossbreed of duck hunters and craft beer drinkers. They love bragging about their saddles and their tiny platforms and how much money they spend to kill a few does lol jk Id probably try one but I cant justify spending the the money.

BoTheHunter likes this.
  11. bigredhunter

bigredhunter 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2012
    Boyle County
    I drink my craft beer while in the saddle...lol

BoTheHunter likes this.
  12. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    I made a saddle out of a sit drag to try this year and am using wild edge steps for a ring of steps. I mostly hunt private land that has several stands already hung and ground blinds set up. I had intended to try the saddle more this year but my daughter has been wanting to go with me most of the time this year so I have been doing most of my hunting out of a ground blind with her. If she decides she doesn't want to tag along I'll probably try the saddle more just to get a feel if it is right for me or not. I have practiced with it in the back yard and it was more comfortable than I thought it would be but I haven't done a long sit in it yet.

BoTheHunter likes this.
  13. bigredhunter

bigredhunter 6 pointer

Jan 30, 2012
    Boyle County
    I had a 3 hr set yesterday afternoon. I’m still working on getting used to the saddle, this would be my 3rd hunt with entire set up. Currently takes me between 15-30 minutes once at the base of the tree.

the scenario yesterday is the exact reason I went to it. Hunting a new farm that I have no presets on. The weather was calling for a NE wind, but when I got there the topography of the farm had the wind blowing a little different way. I adjust easily to the setup on a crossing trail. The versatility of the saddle is what I like, just another tool in the belt.

Buckkillr and 5831 like this.
  14. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

BoTheHunter likes this.
  15. Buckkillr

Buckkillr 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2019
    Ohio
    Tried posting a pics but everything is too big LOL. I used a primal steps to make 2 platforms. One I welded a 10x12" out of 1/2" tubing to it and other I used electrical conduit, both work great and cost me about $10-$20

BoTheHunter likes this.