Any Math Whizzes Out There?

scsims

10 pointer
Oct 14, 2003
Mercer/Washington County
I'm back in school and am having difficulties figuring out this problem, does anyone have any idea, if you could explain how to solve the problem I'd greatly appreciate it.

To secure the accident scene, Bill comes across the following expression for the area of roadway that must be closed:

x(y-x-2)

Bill expands and simplifies the expression in this form: ab^2+by^2+cxy+dx+ey

What are the values of the coefficients a,b , c, d and e ?

I know this expression simplifies to x(y-x-2) = xy-x^2-2x

But I don't understand how it relates to the question.

patiodadio

8 pointer
Mar 22, 2014
I thought you said math, where are the dang numbers ? That looks like a english question to me .....

Apr 14, 2013
Which math class are you taking? That could help narrow down the ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TripleGee

12 pointer
Sep 13, 2003
Somerset
To me, the first equation would equate to xy - x^2-2x. The coefficients would be specific to each problem or wreck. I'd guess brake marks, vehicle displacements and things of that nature. I don't know how the heck the second equation evolved from the first, unless the second equation was the "standard equation" and the values of the coefficients created the first equation you mentioned. I know a little math up to Calculus. But nobody "knows" Calculus entirely. Unless it's Dr. Sheldon Cooper!

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
Set the two equations equal to each other and then solve for each coefficient you need. Simplify as much as possible and you should have your answers.

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
I'm back in school and am having difficulties figuring out this problem, does anyone have any idea, if you could explain how to solve the problem I'd greatly appreciate it.

To secure the accident scene, Bill comes across the following expression for the area of roadway that must be closed:

x(y-x-2)

Bill expands and simplifies the expression in this form: ab^2+by^2+cxy+dx+ey

What are the values of the coefficients a,b , c, d and e ?

I know this expression simplifies to x(y-x-2) = xy-x^2-2x

But I don't understand how it relates to the question.

ab^2+by^2+cxy+dx+ey= xy-x^2-2x

Now solve for a
Then solve for b
Then c then d then e.

Brown Dogs Matter

12 pointer
Jun 7, 2004
Louisville, KY.
Are you, by chance, working on quadratic equations? I'm doing the whole "back to school" thing, too - and what you are doing looks an awful lot like something one would use the quadratic equation to solve.

scsims

10 pointer
Oct 14, 2003
Mercer/Washington County
Thanks guys but I ended up finding the answer...

ab2+by2+cxy+dx+ey
I think this should be ax2+by2+cxy+dx+ey.

xy−x2−2x=−x2+0y2+xy−2x+0y

This worked out to the right answer.

Latest posts