Any insomnia sufferers?

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Brit's and Birds, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 10 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    Anybody deal with insomnia? I used to sleep like a champ, but starting about 4 months ago I have been having nights where I cannot fall asleep. It has happened maybe a dozen times in those 4 months and each time is the same. I am relaxed and comfortable, but not asleep. These episodes I will lay in bed until maybe 4 am on average before finally drifting off. Last night was the worst...I remember seeing the clock with a few minutes before 5, fell asleep for a few, then was woke up by the wife's alarm at 5:30. Never made it back to sleep before my alarm went off. Again I am comfortable and resting, not stressed or anxious, haven't changed any habits or routines. Just can't fall asleep some nights.

Anybody else deal with anything similar? Anybody found any good remedies? I have tried taking melatonin on those nights when I have laid there for a couple hours, but it does nothing for me. Would prefer to avoid prescription sleep aids, but it may come to that if this keeps up.

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Not really insomnia for me but mine comes from working swing shift for 26 years. It really jacks your sleeping habits up and it gets worse as I get older.

For you I’d try keeping a routine of no naps and get up and go to bed at regular times. Use a fan for noise. Most of all clear your head. Easier said than done.

00noturkey likes this.
  3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I went through a spell a few weeks ago. I would go to sleep and wake up an hour of 2 later. Lay there most of the night or get up. I would eventually fall back to sleep. I took some benedryl an it seemed to help. I don't know what I did but it went away for now.

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I sleep like a baby unless something happens to be weighing heavy, or im excited about hunting or fishing somewhere new.
    You sure nothing has you worried? (Money, to- do list, work etc) If not, maybe some vigorous exercise or some kind of physical exertion may help. (Sounds to me like the Misses can cure you.) That tends to put me down for the count.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  5. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Still in the kitchen Ky
    After the moderna shot i've had insomnia. I talked to my doctor friend and she said avoid the prescription stuff if you can, too many addiction issues with it.
    Try benedryl (thats worked for me the best) but also that melatonin needs to be used regularly to really work. She also said Trazidone and other antihistamines may help.
    Whatever you can do though try to get back in the habit of sleeping all night, because the longer you wait to get back on track the harder it is to break the habit. The cause will be gone but your body will just get used to not sleeping, and thats a problem.
    Thats what my doctor friend said, she is a smart lady.

Carl likes this.
  6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Sex. Tell momma she holds the cure.

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Do some stretching. You will be surprised at how that will help.

davers likes this.
  8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    yea off and on for years. grind my teeth real bad at night, clinch my jaw when I do doze off. Bad enough Ive been prescribed meds and a tooth guard, tried them but I hated the way sleeping meds made me feel so I stopped taking them. Worked off shifts for years too and that didnt help. Ive just learned to roll with it best I can

00noturkey likes this.
  9. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I have had this problem for several years now . Go to bed and can't sleep and when I do go to sleep I wake up about every hour or two . I usually wake up about 4:30 every morning and sometimes I fall back to sleep but most usually I am bright eyed and bushy tailed .
    Then later in the day I will get so darn tired , I won't feel like doing anything . I will tell my wife I am going to lay my head back in my recliner for a little bit and most usually I fall asleep as soon as I lay my head back for a hour or so.
    I can not take sleeping meds because of my wifes health problems. I have to get up at times to help her through a Vagal episode.
    My best sleep is when I am on my porch at night . I leave a window open so I can her her if she needs me . But out there I can sleep like a baby at times with my dog by my side. Been out there since last April and up to most of last night when it got too cold.

10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Puts me out like a thanksgiving meal.

11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I have some trouble with insomnia most of my life. Sometimes I wake-up look at my clock and it like 10:30 pm and I normally go to bed at 9:30 pm. Then I wake-up about 3 - 5 times during the night, usually in a quick jerk, really is aggravating. As for sleep meds, I wouldn't suggest taking any without consulting your Doctor, as it might be due to an underlining condition like: Anxiety and/or Depression. Sometimes a good hot shower before bedtime helps.

00noturkey likes this.
  12. east_ky_hunter

east_ky_hunter 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2010
    East Ky
    Ashwaganda seems to work for me. Takes a few days though. I take 1200mg but I'm a big guy. I used to have trouble falling asleep but it helps with my anxiety. Supposedly there's other benefits but I just take it for sleep.

Semp likes this.
  13. Tankt

Tankt 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    Trazodone plus glass of wine works wonders for me. Has to be both. If one but not the other it doesn't work. I will fall asleep quickly then be wide awake after 2-3 hrs of sleep. After 3-4 days of that it's a bad crash

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm speechless.

15. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    My best advice is suggestion that you stop worrying about currently having difficulty sleeping; such will only serve to make matters worse. Perhaps consider opening your Bible and reading Psalms each night before sleep. You may find that to be of great benefit.

I do not have insomnia and am blessed with being capable of setting my own sleep schedule, for an extremely long time in life now, which greatly benefits me having always been highly nocturnal. I simply go with the flow. Such was not always the case and rather brutal at times.

I did suffer a bout of insomnia a few decades ago. I was under the impression that I did not sleep one wink for over a three week period, but logic dictated that I most surely must have managed, albeit not restful. You have my sympathy, due to such.

Do not resort to drugs nor alchohol. If you currently take any, contact your pharmacist and make inquiry as to insomnia side effects. Your pharmacist can easily access those side effects which are rare, as well as contraindications. Change your diet and schedule for eating. Although they say not to eat soon before bed, such actually assists me and has always done so. Increase your level of exercise. Above all else, provide your body time to adjust to any changes in which you may decide to try.

If you feel more must be done, have your primary refer you to one with a sleep clinic for proper testing and diagnosis. I have never done so but believe that you may learn a thing or two. For all you know, you may be suffering from sleep apnea or something else to which intervention could prove fruitful. My temporary bout with insomnia long ago was resolved without any diagnoses.