Any champagne fans here? Blah!!

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by nitrox28, Jan 1, 2009.

1. nitrox28

nitrox28 Banned

Aug 4, 2003
    Lexington, ky, USA.
    Over the years I have spent $110 on a bottle of Perrier Jouët and $130 on a 10yr old bottle of Dom Pérignon. I discovered something. I HATE CHAMPAGNE! I don't get it. The expensive stuff tastes worse than the cheap stuff. Give me a $12 bottle of Korbel any day! I can tell the difference between a cheap red wine and a really nice red wine, but ALL champagne tastes like crap to me. My wife on the other hand loooooves it. I gave my 4yr old a little taste of champagne tonight and he said "that tastes yucky. Do we have any beer?" THAT'S MY BOY!!!! :D Happy New Year everyone. I hope you get everything you want and deserve!! Spending the rest of the week camping and fishing at Red River. WOOHOO!

2. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Thanks for the enlightening thread Nitrox, I am a beer man with champagne taste myself. Popcorn is at the ready;)

3. Hoosier5

Hoosier5 Banned

Sep 6, 2004
    Northern Taylor Co.
    We had [Yellow tail] Chardonnay white wine at Christmas Dinner. Not much of a wine drinker though but it was good. :)

4. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    We had a toast at midnite. It sure didn't go down well with the Keystone I chased it with. LOL.:D

5. Haves

Haves 8 pointer

Feb 17, 2007
    Union ky
    Champagne is not a good drink. I received a bottle of Perrier Jouët for my wedding that we saved forever. Popped it open on a big night...and crap. The wife liked it anyway. I like beer myself.

6. pbrdrnkr

pbrdrnkr 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    I prefer good ol Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer myself.

7. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    I had a "Brut" (dry) Champagne mixed with my Code Red MtDew for breakfast. I used it to wash down my cold thin sliced Brisket & over easy Eggs. :D

Just like in wines, there is dry Champagne or sweet, fruity Champagne. I prefer the sweeter versions unless I'm making Mimosa Cocktails. I use a dry version to contrast with the sweetness of the OJ. ;)

Liking the taste of Champagne is kind of like liking the taste of Bloody Marys. You have to experiment until you find the right blend.

Champagne also has very strict storing needs. Just like a wine, if it is stored improperly it will not be fit to drink. So read up on it and act accordingly. It is ashame to let go to waste something that someone has worked so hard to produce. :cool:

8. pbrdrnkr

pbrdrnkr 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    Isn't there a man rule about drinking mimosas? Do you hold your pinky out while you do it? HA HA just poking fun have a good New Year

9. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke

Carter,

You are the MAN!:D:D:eek:

10. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    PBRdrnkr I can see that you are obviously a man of good taste. I'll make sure not to hold out my pinky next time, especially while I aim that cork at my neighbors barking dog. Bet you can't do that with a PBR can ? :p :D

Happy New Years to U 2. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  11. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Yep, forgot to mention the bisquits with Red Eye Gravy on them. :D

12. pbrdrnkr

pbrdrnkr 6 pointer

Dec 10, 2008
    Lebanon Junction
    Glad you didn't get all butt hurt over my joke like alot of people on here just a lil fun like I said before Happy New Year. Oh yea I must admit I like it with O.J. myself not the murderer the drink but I wasn't going to tell it though. HAHA

13. C.L.Button

C.L.Button 12 pointer

Jan 27, 2005
    Derby City Jungle
    Well my skin(we won't mention my belly)is a little thicker than some. Besides,,,the less they drink means the more I have to experiment with. :D

A sweet Champagne reduced over heat makes a great sauce for French Toast or Pancakes. Especially when paired up with some Venison Bacon. ;)

14. Tim T

Tim T 12 pointer

Mar 29, 2007
    Shepherdsville
    Guys I hate Champagne. I even spent a week in the Champagne capital of the world (at least according to the locals) in Epernay, France. They try to force you to drink the stuff and were actually offended that I wanted beer.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  15. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose

Pretty good rule of thumb to go by, "If it offends the French, it must be the right thing to do"! ;)