antler growth

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by CKYoutdoors, Jul 4, 2014.

1. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    When do y'all normally notice the most growth in antlers? Or is it just constant throughout the summer?

2. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    Good question but I think it is a constant growth, probably a lot of variables such as water supply, food, stress, mineral intake, and genes. But I bet it's a constant growth or if anything it having a bell curve type distribution makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    To me, June always seems to be the month with the most growth.

4. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I was thinking it was more of a constant growth as well, but I have read a few things saying certain months were the best growing months so I was wondering if anyone had noticed that.

5. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I do think there is some constant growth obviously but it seems to me that individual bucks have individual spurts according to my pics over the years. Last year I had an eight point who was nothing but brows and beams with little knobs in July 10 when I got the first pics of him. By the first of August he was a 100" deer, meanwhile the buck he ran with( 120") was pretty much done on the same date. One thing for sure, it's an amazing process. I can imagine the amount of daily growth on a 400" inch moose !!

6. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    Valid point as well cause like you said, each deer is different. I just feel like my cameras are showing them a little behind schedule, but there's no telling what the next two months will bring. And yeah I bet elk growth and moose growth daily is impressive.

7. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    you are exactly right ....each deer is different......and a lot of it has to do with when they shed their antlers...but i used to raise whitetails and they all grew at different spurts......they are amazing animals......

8. DEERMD

DEERMD 8 pointer

Nov 21, 2003
    campbellsville, ky
    I have heard the fastest growing thing on earth is deer antlers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. CKYoutdoors

CKYoutdoors 6 pointer

Nov 30, 2011
    Fastest growing cells I know. Grow faster than cancer cells, it is impressive the amount of growth they do over a few months

10. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Yep. Up to a inch a day with the right genes, food, minerals, and water.