Annual Shamanic Baking Soda Rant

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I suppose the main qualification was being able to write cogent copy. With D&DH magazine, I just asked and they handed it to me. After that, I had invitations. It never amounted to any money, but I did get free swag.
Cool. It seems like it's what you really enjoy so that's a cherry on the sunday.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
A human body is a scent factory. You will smell like a human no matter what you do. Same as a quail or rabbit or deer smell like they do. I think foreign odors and bacterial odors are what we can work on. Seems to me, and it may be my imagination, but after I wash my bibs and jacket, it seems I don’t get busted as much. My theory is the thick layer captures my skin cells or human odor to a higher degree. Then the more you wear it the more scent load it will give off. Nothing seems to work when I dress light in warm weather.

The day I washed everything from top to bottom and walked a very short distance from my house and got busted by an old doe 75 yards down wind, told me I wasn’t fooling anyone. I think sometimes we just get lucky when they should be smelling us and they don’t.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
A human body is a scent factory. You will smell like a human no matter what you do. Same as a quail or rabbit or deer smell like they do. I think foreign odors and bacterial odors are what we can work on. Seems to me, and it may be my imagination, but after I wash my bibs and jacket, it seems I don’t get busted as much. My theory is the thick layer captures my skin cells or human odor to a higher degree. Then the more you wear it the more scent load it will give off. Nothing seems to work when I dress light in warm weather.

The day I washed everything from top to bottom and walked a very short distance from my house and got busted by an old doe 75 yards down wind, told me I wasn’t fooling anyone. I think sometimes we just get lucky when they should be smelling us and they don’t.
Every downwind deer smells us, every single damn time, regardless of fart suits or baking soda or ozone machines.
Sometimes they don't care, tho...

keeruss8

8 pointer
Jun 19, 2016
Marrowbone
Play the wind is better than anything. That being said I do wash clothes in baking soda and have for probably 20 some years. I can't remember who told me to do that instead of buying expensive detergent. Just washed a load tonight. They were a bit musty so put them through that after regular detergent so I don't smell like a garden full of lavender. But maybe the bears like that lol

Muzzy Moment

8 pointer
Sep 8, 2011
Eastern KY
Personally I think we over think the scent control issue. Playing the wind does help in certain situations but it tends to swirl here in these mountains in East Ky. I don’t use much scent control and seem to have just as much success as those that do.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
Every downwind deer smells us, every single damn time, regardless of fart suits or baking soda or ozone machines.
Sometimes they don't care, tho...
A lot of truth but also our scent doesn’t necessarily go how we think. It may look
like it’s going down but due to weather conditions, it may go upwards over the deer. Or humidity and weather conditions can make it harder for them to pick up the scent. Even hunting dogs have days they have a hard time picking up scent. Anyone that’s had hunting dogs can attest to that.

hunt

8 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
A lot of truth but also our scent doesn’t necessarily go how we think. It may look
like it’s going down but due to weather conditions, it may go upwards over the deer. Or humidity and weather conditions can make it harder for them to pick up the scent. Even hunting dogs have days they have a hard time picking up scent. Anyone that’s had hunting dogs can attest to that.

I absolutely agree with this and what @120+ posted above. KY is definitely terrain specific, and although I've never hunted eastern parts, I understand completely about swirling winds, as I do hunt western KY and land that is pre-reclamation mine ground, and it seems like the wind changes direction all the time because of the old spoil banks. I'm sure the mountainous areas are even more magnified.

That being said, we all know that morning thermals rise and evening thermals fall, so I always try and keep that in mind when scouting and/or setting stands.

I'll always be a "the wind is your friend" hunter, I want it to blow, and blow hard. We all love those cold,frosty mornings when we can hear a mouse moving around below, but those calm days that lend a light breeze just saturates our hideout with detection to our prey.

I'll take 15-25+ winds all day, every single day from late October thru Thanksgiving, as those conditions have by far been my best hunts.

Just my experience in the last 30+ years.

chiphunt

Fawn
Nov 14, 2016
Body - Wash in scent free detergent, or baking soda, or whatever you think works best. Then use scent free deodorant. I like the Arm & Hammer scent free deodorant.

Clothes and Gear - I haven't found anything better than the following to remove scent from clothes and gear... Buy a large plastic storage tote from Lowes or Home Depot for like $20-30. I suggest a to get a sturdy one with wheels. Then go on Amazon and get an ozone generator. I have the one in the attached picture which is now $50. This is the same thing used by the major hunting brands selling ozone bags or totes at a fraction of the cost. They just buy these units and brand them.

The ozone generator comes with a long clear tube. Drill a hole in the tote the same size as the clear tube so you can run the generated ozone into the tote. I also bought some Velcro that is sticky on the backside. I attached one piece of Velcro to the outside of the tote and the other to the back of the ozone generator so I could attach the ozone generator to the tote. Now I have a portable ozone generating tote with wheels for about $80. You may even have a tote sitting around already you can use. Here is a video that explains this further: DIY Ozone Tote

While not the cheapest option, I don't have to wash my clothes nearly as often. I've been using this generator from Amazon for 2 years so far and have had zero issues. I can also scent wash my gear, such as boots, bow releases, gun strap, saddle, platform, ropes, tether, etc. If your truck or SUV has a plug, or you have an adapter you can just throw your clothes/gear in the back and plug it in. I usually run mine for about 10-15 on the drive to my hunting spot to zap the odors, then get dressed after I park. Also will run it in the afternoon of an all day hunt if I make it back to the truck and it's super hot out.

Only thing suggested to not put in the tote is rubber. Ozone can break down rubber over time. Putting something rubber in there a few times won't hurt it at all, but repeated use will break it down. I personally put my Lacrosse rubber boots in there but they are so thick I haven't experienced any breakdown in the material. In addition to hunting gear, I also use the ozone tote to scent wash other items when needed such as pillows in the house that can't be washed. Anyway good luck out there this season! Hope this helps someone.

ozone-generator.png

Last edited:

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
Milkweed seed. It’ll show you the updrafts.
Oh it's easy to check, I'm just saying the forecast is never correct. You can move 100 yards and the wind direction is different.

So many times I've been in a favorable wind direction and as soon as the sun goes down the thermals kick in and it changes. It's just frustrating because you really don't know which way it's blowing until you reach your stand....and then it changes mid hunt.

shaman

10 pointer
Oh it's easy to check, I'm just saying the forecast is never correct. You can move 100 yards and the wind direction is different.

So many times I've been in a favorable wind direction and as soon as the sun goes down the thermals kick in and it changes. It's just frustrating because you really don't know which way it's blowing until you reach your stand....and then it changes mid hunt.

That's one of the main reasons I go for baking soda. I'm always upwind of something.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but most days I've got deer coming from upwind, downwind, crosswind --- I never know which way. Before I started using baking soda, I was getting winded by deer a good 80 yards upwind of me. After I started taking scent reduction seriously, I started having deer right under my stand.

Do I still get busted? Yes. If I'm not really being serious about it, I still get winded. I had an incident last Muzzleloader Season where I went out to my tower blind with a moderate wind straight off my back and had a doe bust me at 200 yards across the pasture. It was a fairly warm day, and I had done nothing to deal with my odor since morning. Besides that? Yes, but it almost always involves a deer catching me standing up to stretch or shifting in the stand.

Latest posts