Annual season running thread 19-20

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Bowfinger, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    You know what they say about redheads!

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Ducks and Geese dying here.

3. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    On today’s episode of outdoor failures with tyler:
    Well the positives:
    I finally got to pull the trigger on a box of 2 year old shells.
    I finally either convinced ducks to land in front of me or it was a coincidence

negatives: still haven’t killed my first duck
    And I am an idiot

so today I didn’t get stupid drunk last night. Thought if I’m going to keep doing this crap I need to put 110% effort in. Got here extra early to the pond. Set up. Got the mojo and for the first time got a jerk string. Decreased from 16 decoys to 8. And left the call in the truck as it hasn’t worked so why bother.

I check my phone and 2 minutes to go. I get relaxed. Pull the jerk to make sure all is well. Beautiful. Check phone again green light. I give the jerk string 3 tugs and I’m looking at it thinking of how good it looks.

then the chaos. Boom it looked like God dropped 10 bowling balls out of Heaven. They couldn’t have came in any more weird of a way. Only problem they were a bit far. But being my first time I over reacted. Pop up and before I could realize what I had done all 3 shells from my pump Remington were on the ground and I was in shock. Feathers flyn ducks flyn and I got to busy trying to see what I killed and didn’t even think to reload. They circled back right in front of me of what would have been an easier shot but I wasn’t ready.

here’s the worst part. The duck I hit was crippled so I was pumped. Thought at least I got him l. He was diving and scooting across to the far side of the pond the best he could. I get out and run to the other side. It took a minute. Can’t find him. Looked everywhere. Really thick brush and tree roots he could be in.

so that will forever be my first memory of shooting a duck. Can only go up from here tho. Lessons learned.

4. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    That's where its good to have a good dog. I've had them dive under and grab on to something and never come back up before though. When you come up to shoot, hesitate for a second then squeeze. I use to miss alot on my first shot then hit on the 2nd. Just get excited I guess. After I started hesitating I started shooting alot better.

KentuckyOutdoors likes this.
  5. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Premature shooting happens to some first timers. :)

On a serious note, some ducks will dive down and grab a stick or submerged grass with their beak and drown themselves. I've seen them do it before.

Don't beat yourself up too bad, that sort of stuff happens to guys that have been doing it for 30-40 years.

It is quite a rush getting them in. Stay after em!

6. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Been slow for us in our area in Ark. some fields doing ok. Rivers out so a lot of birds moved to the flooded bottoms. Specks kept us busy for several days with a few ducks here & there.

Attached Files:

Brsutton86 and Capttrae like this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Been hunting these flat foots since 1974. I STILL GET EXCITED and RUSH SHOTS SOMETIMES. I get more excited of Ducks coming in to the decoys than a Booner coming into my Deer stand. I LIVE TO HUNT DUCKS.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  8. Mossy Oak Boykins

Mossy Oak Boykins 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    good pic Rod glad your getting some shooting

9. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
  10. KentuckyOutdoors

KentuckyOutdoors Spike

Nov 19, 2019
    Christian County
    Been seeing small gesse around which is good. Still seeing some sandhills as well. Shot two local mallards off a farm pond yesterday.

Also ate a wonderful breakfast. We started doing breakfast in the blind years ago. Honestly, bringing all the cooking supplies is more important than the guns haha

Just found out I'm going to be spending my first two weeks of January in Austria for work. Bummed I'll miss half the good month but I will get to check snowboard the alps off my list.

11. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 8 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Cool on the snowboarding trip. If you can manage a night run, away from lights, that would be awesome. It would be worth your while to score a pro photographer/videographer to tag along (doesn't matter if you fail to be an expert... all can be made to look good).

KentuckyOutdoors likes this.
  12. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Teal shoot in Tn yesterday.

13. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Hasn't been good here. Just not many birds around and seem to be having tons of equipment malfunctions. Trucks, trailers boats, side x sides you name it we've tore it up so far. Hopefully our luck will turn around soon. Guess I'll keep on grinding till the money runs out lol.

14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    That's my report right down to the period! Flat tires, wheel bearings, flooded boat when something backed the plug out and nothing to show for it!

Giveem3outdoors likes this.