Annual playa haters thread of hate 18-19

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Bowfinger, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Big Snuff

Big Snuff Fawn

Nov 25, 2018
    North central ky
    Didn't your legs get cold when you took your panty hose off?

2. HappyHunter

HappyHunter 8 pointer

Sep 11, 2003
    Louisville
    Makes sense

That your nuts dropped after you took your pantyhose off

3. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    That's why I use 37 of them in every spread still ain't learned how to call and just got first hair on balls last Thursday. Panty hose trick sounds like a good one thanks.

4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I got 3. Havent used them in years. Give me a jerk string.

bowhunter269 and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  5. Bone_Chaser

Bone_Chaser 8 pointer

Sep 12, 2014
    Whitley Co
    To me the mojos are good in situations where you want to be seen from a long distance. You can spy them from a mile away. Week before last I was lucky to snag an invite with a couple seasoned 30+ year hunters. They joked as to why I didn't bring my calls to hopefully "teach them something". We all agreed we would like to see if Buck Gardner himself could pull in birds. Every time I feel the need to let out a greeting call, I just pull the string. Both guys made an identical rig that week. The more I hunt, the less I call.

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    We used Mojos a few years. But now just jerk string work. Some times the best calling is not calling at all. We got 9 today and never called the first time. See them work jerk string and they turned and came back. They here so much calling it probably sounds like a wife nagging to them. Some times at shooting light we call just in case some are flying out where we cant see yet. Maybe hopes of getting them close. Today no wind jerk string worked good.

7. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Worked for this guy.

8. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Bottom line, spinners suck.... That is all.

9. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I use a drake whistle probably more than anyone in the world. When I first started hunting I really sucked at calling and now a days I'm not much better so I used a whistle alot. If I had to choose only one thing on my lanyard it would definitely be that cheapo whistle. I've got to where I rarely pack a spinner seemed like i always packed one and ended up taking it down after the first group every time. Certain days we still use one and one of my hunting partners is usually dead set on using them still.

10. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    I've likely killed less ducks than anyone on this thread (except maybe prebeck :) ), but those I've killed on the central KY farm ponds were mostly lured in thanks to my jerk string.

DH13 likes this.
  11. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    I don't mean to sound mean but take all that crap you've learned about hunting in KY and throw it out the window when you go west. I'm not going to say I'm an expert because this is my first year hunting in SEMO. Jerk string does no good when the wind is blowing 10-15mph. There's plenty of movement in the spread. It may work here but it doesn't help out there, unless you get a still morning. I changed calling techniques multiple times last weekend. Screaming at them, going soft, shutting up, hitting on the corners, etc. Seemed that quiet was the best calling but they would still get to 75yds and turn. I don't like mojos. In fact, I haven't hunted over one in KY in years! They did help this weekend, though.

12. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
  13. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    I water swatted a hen mallard today. Yelled out “Duster” as I pulled the trigger. My youngest boy said “you sure did dust her didn’t ya”? I laughed out loud! It was a good day.

KDT

14. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Yesss. Just like turkey decoys. They make good seat cushions.

Tman6493 likes this.