Annual Baking Soda Rant

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shaman, Sep 7, 2021.

1. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

When I first started bowhunting in the early 80's, I used to drive from near downtown Cincinnati to Hocking Hills, pitch a tent, get a few hours sleep and then go hunt. I'd not see a shower from Friday until I got back on Sunday. I was alone, so it didn't make much difference to anyone. It took me a while to figure out what that strange snorting noise was in the woods. What surprises me is that I saw deer every time I went out. I even turned down shots, because I was holding out for a buck. Everything I read at the time said nothing about scent being a big factor. You just knew to play the wind.

If I remember correctly, my first dalliance with sodium bicarb was in 1986. I went full-tilt in the other direction. Let me just say that coming out of a tent in 30F and giving myself a cold sponge bath in the open air was an exhilarating experience.

The Shamanic Dream Team grew up well after 2000. By then, I was always hunting from a place that had a warm shower available.

2. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

What I can say after 30-some years with baking soda is that you can reduce the stink enough that the deer don't seem to worry. Deer are used to picking up human scent and judging its threat potential based on strength. If you can reduce your stink to a point where the deer are fooled into believing that the source is farther away than it really is, you've managed to buy yourself an advantage. As I said at the outset: this is not about making you scent-free.

3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I always store my Deer hunting cloths in a
    I always place baking soda on my Deer hunting clothes, when storing them in a large black plastic bag. Also place it inside my hunting boots, and also store my hunting orange vest & hat covered with baking soda. Does a great job.

4. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    I vividly recall those deer popping up all around me like Jack-in-the-Box toys, when photographing them for the first time during the rut. Granted, I was paying close attention to winds and had attempted to be scent-free, even bathing in baking soda directly before dwarfing myself within my father's gear. Those deer could not have cared less about me, with two coming within 25', one a fiesty buck. I also recall walking directly over a mass of fallen nuts one day, snapping photos of multiple deer chowing down upon them after the fact. I guess I don't stink stank stunk to them.

5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    And that's where my father's old gear remains, other than the coveralls. How often do you change out that baking soda? Have you done a vinegar fizz test upon any of that old powder, comparing it to fresh powder?

6. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I heard all sorts of hooey over the years. The truth is sodium bicarb stays active forever. Taste it, and if it still tastes salty, then you know it's good. Hint: it never stops tasting salty.

7. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Good ole sodium chloride, I frequently use it to clean, as well; my dogs' blankets come to mind, mixing with either vinegar or lemon juice. I then clean the inside of the washer, with more, then run a rinse cycle. I clean the dryer afterwards, as well. I think you men should do both, prior to washing your gear.

8. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I change the sodium bicarbonate each year. Before Deer season, I remove them from the bag brush off the soda and let them hang outdoors for a few days.