Annual Baking Soda Rant

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by shaman, Sep 7, 2021.

1. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Before we get into that whole thing about scent reduction, and which Fart-Lok suit does the best, I thought I'd re-post my rant about Baking Soda.

It's cheap, it's easy. It does a really great job. It is by no means original; I found it in a magazine back in the mid-80's before all these fancy preparations and clothing started being merchandised.

Shamanic Baking Soda Method.

How effective is it? Without it, I can be busted at 70 yards upwind of my stand. Using the method, getting nailed due to scent is no longer a problem. I've shot a buck inside 5 yards with his sister standing closer than 2 feet.

To clear up misunderstandings from previous years' posts:

1) Don't worry. No salesman will call. I don't get a dime off this.
    2) I don't purport that this method (or any method) makes you scent-free. All this does is lower your stink so it does not cause alarm to the deer.
    3) I am using about 8lbs of sodium bicarb a year. Yes, I used to buy 50 lb bags, but that was just a cheap way to buy it. They'd last me several years.
    4) Some of what you sprinkle on your clothes can be recovered and reused.
    5) If you compare sodium bicarb to laundry detergent, this is a major savings. I use detergent very sparingly and only when things get really mucked up. When I do, I use All Free& Clear.

Since last year's post, I've had one major convert to the Shamanic Baking Soda Method. Our newest member of the Shamanic Dream Team, Remnar, decided to try it. After 10 years of trying other more expensive concoctions and eating tag soup. I helped him get his first deer last November.

Lastly: My advice is to give this a try and see how it goes. You may find you need to be more or less stringent in your regimen. Use my method as a starting place.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    What's the temp going to be Nov 13th at daylight and wind direction?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    Feedman, WILD, CRFmxracer and 7 others like this.
  3. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

I haven't a clue. However, the 90-day outlook says that we're going to have a good chance of higher-than-normal temperatures and normal amounts of precipitation. That was as of 19 August. My guess is that the precipitation estimates will be revised upwards when the September forecasts are produced in a couple of weeks. We're heading into another La Nina year.

4. raidergson

raidergson 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2010
    Garrard County
    I remember the old timers dusting their caps, inside and out, with baking soda, and campfire or pipe smoke was cover scent for the rest.

5. Ezelkyhunter

Ezelkyhunter 10 pointer

Nov 28, 2013
    The problem with baking soda is it’s too cheap and too easy. A lot of us (talking about myself) make things a bit harder than they should be. If I get the “spray eliminator” and spend more it has to work better. I fall prey to this line of thought too often.

truth is baking soda I bet works better than anything else. Also if your downwind and didn’t cross where the deer are at that’s a recipe for success no scent eliminator can compare with

the best deer hunters I know who harvested a ton of brutes with a bow played the wind and hunting clothes
    Were kept in plastic totes with pine branches and hunting clothes were put on and taken off in woods. No getting gas, no wearing to store etc

6. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Better than some distilled vinegars or activated carbons? I would guess all depends upon precisely how each is utilized upon precisely which odors.

7. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I started using baking soda back about 1986 or so. Prior to that, I was strictly old school. I didn't shower all weekend. I wore wool (with mothballs in the pockets in the off season). I smoked a pipe. I had been told there was no way I could fool a deer's nose. The switch to baking soda and a modicum of personal hygiene caused a huge change for the better. A few years later all the suits, sprays and special soaps started being merchandised, and I could find nothing that did a better job.

When I started writing about 15 years later. I was amazed at all the pushback I got from guys spending $300 for a Fartlok suit and telling me to get out of the Dark Ages. When I wrote articles, they were spiked. I was later to find out anything that purposed a cheap DIY solution that removed the need for one of the mag's advertisers would not be accepted.

Remember, I'm not telling anyone: This is THE method. What I'm saying is that if you're spending gobs of money on scent reduction, you'd be probably better off trying the method I'm suggestion.

BTW: Activated charcoal does not do as nearly good a job and it's more expensive. Ditto for chlorophyll.

The one thing I haven't used is ozone, but I've recently purchased an industrial ozone generator for getting the mold smell out of a basement. I have to admit, it did a fantastic job of removing odor in a closed environment, but as soon as it was off, the odor came back. I've got this unit, and I know it works on odor. However, I also know ozone is very destructive to plastics, etc. So I'm hesitant to start using it on synthetic fabrics. Bottom line: I've already got a cheap system that works, why muck with something else?

8. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    I completely stopped using scent control and cover scents 4 years ago and I havn't noticed a bit of difference. I do use unscented soap and laundry detergent but that's as far as I go anymore. I just pay attention to the wind.

9. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 12 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I’ll tell you on the 12th

1wildcatfan likes this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds

I still think much must be dependent upon the stink, stank, stunk in which one may be attempting to neutralize. Some of you men smell more than other men, fact. What if you ate a dish loaded with fresh garlic the previous night? Surely it would be most prudent to determine the chemical make-up of garlic, and what changes it undergoes within the body before oozing from pores and more, before attempting to neutralize such with yet another chemical. I don't believe that a one concoction suits all is possible, based upon this reasoning.

What about hydrogen peroxide, for instance? Merely playing devil's advocate here. I clean things with baking soda all the time, myself. Sometimes, I will mix it with other things, though. It just depends.

11. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

The problem I see with hydrogen peroxide is that it is a powerful bleaching agent. It's going to take out the dyes in clothing. Sodium bicarb does very little to harm clothing. I've got hunting clothes from the 80's that are still serviceable.

BTW: KY_Fried is onto something. It's amazing to me how little scent control you need to be successful. A little personal hygiene goes a long way.

bdbrown66 likes this.
  12. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 8 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I’m not much on scent control but I hang a fresh earth wafer from mirror…does that count?
    211EB64A-230D-4AAD-ABA1-42116C7614EA.jpeg

…And, Shaman, I gagged a little thinking of your prior hygienic practices. I bet the shamanic dream team appreciated your new found bathing habits.

13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I’ve used baking soda since the 70’s. It must work fine.

14. KY_Fried

KY_Fried 10 pointer

Nov 13, 2003
    Foster, KY, USA.
    Us humans are all stinky creatures to at lot of game animals especially deer. We're constantly giving off scents through our breath, perspiration, and just existing. No amount of gimmick sprays or clothing will make you invisible or unsmellable to a deer. Playing the wind can though.

15. DBKY

DBKY 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2019
    KY
    50% chance it’s 30 with wind from NW. 50% chance it’s 70 with wind coming from S.

Brody and 1wildcatfan like this.