Anderson AR Lowers? Anybody have an opinion?

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by Manzanita, May 30, 2016.

1. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    AIM Surplus has some in stock for $39.95. I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on one or more, stash it/them away, and build as I can afford the parts. Kentucky made, in Hebron.

Might end up being my first AR pattern rifle since getting out of the navy... or course, that one wasn't mine, I just rented it. ;) Like I need another caliber... I have a closet full of 7.62x39 ammo, pouches full of magazines, and a means to reach out and touch something with it. Anyway, maybe I'm compensating for never having a decent set of Legos, but...

ar.jpg

Anybody built an AR off an Anderson lower or bought a full rifle from them? Heard anything, bad or good?

2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have 3 Anderson lowers and 2 uppers and 2 lower parts kits I haven't had any problems.
    Fit and finish is fine, I haven't used any of there barrels but a buddy does own a complete gun from them and said it's been flawless.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

3. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Yep. Quality is good; finish in nice, IME.

4. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    Good deal. Thanks. I ordered one.

Now, what about those Palmetto State Armory uppers? They've got barrelled receivers w/handguards for around $200 and up.

5. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County
    I built an AR using an Anderson lower and a Palmetto Armory upper. It will not chamber Lake City surplus ammo, but will shoot commercial stuff just fine. I built it for my son and he's happy with it. That's my only experience with PSA, but I've used several Anderson lowers in some other projects, and they're good.

6. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    I'm really liking those Palmetto uppers with the stainless barrels. A little troubling about the ammo, though. Is your upper a 5.56 Nato or a .223? I know I'm going the cheapest route for my future AR build but... I guess I can make up for it by having a freaking heavy as a boat anchor but surprisingly accurate Yugo M70B1 to shoot the cheap Commie stuff out of.

Speaking of cheap Commie stuff; it's quite strange how AKs seem to be more expensive than ARs nowadays. Most of the email sale flyers I get from CDNN or AIM Surplus seem to have even the formerly cheap-azz Romanian WASR AKs priced higher than the lower-end ARs.

But, you know, I just want a token AR so I can make a good showing on the next BLM (not Black Lives Matter) standoff. Heh. :eek-new:

7. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    You can't go wrong with Anderson Mfg. or Palmetto State Amory...

8. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    By golly, I'm doing it... when I can afford it. I promise to post pics when it happens.

9. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    Care to post that link to the cheap anderson lowers? :D

I picked up a PSA upper from black friday. Should have about $450 in a complete gun that specs out better than "factory" guns (S&W and DPMS etc) that sell at the lower end around $500. :D

I'm going to put together a 6.5 grendel as well. Parts were too cheap not to buy them on black friday. :D

10. kymailman98

kymailman98 10 pointer

Dec 20, 2009
    Christian County

I thought the PSA upper was supposed to be 5.56, which means the Lake City stuff should have worked. There has always been quite an argument over the interchangibility of 5.56 and 223. I have rifles chambered for both, as well as the Rock Rivers with the Wylde chamber. I have quite a bit of surplus for the "just in case" scenario. But, for my hunting rifles in 223, I shoot ammo that I reload from factory brass.

11. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    It was AIM Surplus. Here's the link. Of course, shipping will be $20. Not too bad if you buy more than one or you can find other stuff to add to your cart. I think I may have found it cheaper on Brownells by just a few bucks... it was more on the list price but shipping was a bit cheaper. I like AIM, and since I had ordered my Yugo AK from AIM back in 2005 or so, I went with them.

12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Redx arms make a good cheap upper.
    Joe bobs always has great deals to.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 C HD using Tapatalk

13. Manzanita

Manzanita 12 pointer

Apr 16, 2006
    Telecheck 018
    links, man!

14. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    Kygunco got the same lower for 39.99 with $10 shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    How do you all go about getting lowers shipped? Have a friend that is an FFL and can receive it for you or what?