And.....another creek fish.

Riflelooney

6 pointer
Aug 7, 2016
Super nice fish, congrats. I have never caught one on topwater. I guarantee it would get a mans heart racin.
If not prying too much what type topwater bait? Been wanting to try a whopper plopper but haven’t yet.

I fish topwater quite a bit. Early and late can be dynamite and they really love them on small rivers. Have had great success on the lake as well.
Sometimes it sounds like a cannonball being dropped, sometimes it's a gentle slurp. That's how the fish was this morning. Had I not seen the head come up, I would have thought it for a bass.

I fish whopper ploppers a bunch, and have caught a pile of fish on them. The 130 is the one you want. Topraiders are hard to beat as are the Lake X offerings. Buzzbaits and walk the dog style baits have their place as well. Today's fish was caught on a phantom freak. Not my favorite topwater bait out there but it will get their attention. It's just not as loud as I'd like.

My best day with the whopper plopper was 3 fish over 40" in 15 minutes. This was on cave run. I could post a bunch of pics but I'll just leave you with a shot of a muskie with a face full of plopper. This was a creek fish. She actually didn't eat it on the cast, she followed it and ate it by the boat. If I can add a tip, when you bring your topwater to the boat and do your 8 or your oval or whatever boatside maneuver you do, a lot of people keep the bait on top of the water. Bad idea. You really set yourself up to miss that fish. Go ahead and take it underwater; as the prop tail leaves a good bubble trail and if the fish are already locked onto the bait, they don't care if you take it subsurface. It really ups your chances of keeping the fish pinned. That's how this fish was caught as have several others.

Last edited:

Riflelooney

6 pointer
Aug 7, 2016
KyCanvas- speaking of heart racing; the one strike that gets me everytime and makes my heart stop is when you're fishing a jerk bait....whether it's the gliding style or rubber, and as it gets near the boat and you hang it for a second before starting the 8, a fish out of nowhere comes straight up and hammers it right in front of your face. That's the strike that gets me above all the others.

Latest posts