Ammo quality post pandemic

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Danno, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Danno

Danno 6 pointer

Just curious, but what are peoples thoughts on the quality of ammo moving forward? My wife and i were having a lovely discussion last night, and she brought up a good point. As supplies dwindle (which that's been the case for a year now) and company's try to keep up with demand the quality starts to suffer, she brought up multiple examples and made me think.... hmmm might we start seeing more squib loads, or dud primers, or rounds with no charge? Thoughts?

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    The robotic presses should keep em honest for the most part I would think.

predator1, OLE RASPY and Danno like this.
  3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Good point. The load itself should be fine..as meatstick said..due to the presses. But..the quality of the components could be a problem..just have to see.

davers and Danno like this.
  4. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Believe it’ll be fine with today’s technology

predator1, Danno and bearleft like this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Hopefully quality will still be there

Danno likes this.
  6. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Years ago, I bought some Winchester 223 brass, I started the reloading and every crank on the dillon I would split the case. I took everything apart to see if it was my dies or the press alignment and could not find anything, so I broke out some star brass I loaded 5.56 with and everything worked as it should, come to find out the Winchester brass walls were really thin, after I contacted them, I sent back the brass and two weeks later, I got a big box on the porch when I got home, I opened it to find 10 bags of 100 new brass and an apology letter. Apparently something went wrong and a bad batch of brass got out. I always thought about that, hopefully no one that got them was able to reload them as it could have ended badly. Never had that issue again.

Danno likes this.
  7. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Couple guys I know here found some 22-250 grey box Winchester. All but 6 outta those 40rds the necks was split.
    Bad thing is they were bought a few days apart and the dude said (too bad too sad call Winchester, no trading on something of equal value or any kinda effort to help these guys out. He lost waay more than 2 customers over something that coulda been resolved had he not been a stubborn prick...

Danno likes this.
  8. Danno

Danno 6 pointer

Nailed it btw someone in modern firearms talking about cracked necks in factory coreloks

9. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    As demand/panic buying continue; quality of ammunition will suffer due to shortage of quality components. I've not purchased any factory loaded ammunition in two years.

Danno likes this.
  10. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    You mean the Factories still load ammo?

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    As far as I know, if you can locate some for sale.

drakeshooter likes this.
  12. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    No. Just vicious rumors being spread! Lol

13. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Be careful with the core lock Remington, caseing are being found splitting