ammo availability

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by corndogggy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Shooting blue helmets. LOL.

2. Quickdraw Limpsalot

Quickdraw Limpsalot 12 pointer

Sep 16, 2005
    Larue Co.
    Most are using the steel-tip 62 gr. "penetrators" M855 ball; designated marksmen use Mk262 Mod0 (77 gr. Sierra Matchking.)

3. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    If the rest of the ammo shelves in the country look anything like they do around here, it's going to be a long time before you see much on shelves. Places around here are wiped completely out of any round that is shot through a semi automatic rifle or pistol.

4. robert

robert Fawn

Jan 24, 2009
    eastern ky
    who has the blue helmets.

5. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    The UN.........

sad but true it would be easier to shoot a foreigner/stranger than a local person you may know coming to get your guns. I saw an article yesterday stating it will be FBI and ATF agents doing it, not local or even state LE.....all Feds

6. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    This is very true around the State & the Country. Ammunition designed for semi-auto firearms is almost gone from stores. At this point I am forming .308 brass from .30-06 & .270 brass with success, using a .308 RCBS trim & form die. Takes a little more time, due to steps of forming cases, but at least I'll have .308 ammo.:)

7. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    I was in Uncle Lee's yesterday. They've still got ammo. Lots of .22, if anyone is over that way.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I can kidn of find 308 if I order it or go to a gun show, but the stuff is nearly $2 a shot. The cheaper stuff for screwing around with is nowhere to be found. It's got me wanting to sell my .308 Win 70. 270 rounds are all over the place.

9. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Don't sell either of your rifles, but rather make your own ammo. If you have plenty of .270 brass that has been reloaded several times then you can use that .270 brass to make .308 brass, by simply using a .308 RCBS trim die to cut it to proper length. Then you clean-up the mouth & resize in a regular FL .308 die (adjusted down to slightly move the case shoulders back) until your rifle bolt closes. Then expand the neck to .308" afterwhich ream the neck slightly enough to seat a bullet, then fireform. I use 20.0 grs/ SR-4759/150 grain bullet or you can use a lighter weight of bullet. After fireforming, you'll need to one again to ream the neck then full length size, as you would normally would, in your .308 die. This gives new life to used .270 brass by making .308 brass. .270 ammo can be made by simply necking down a .30-06 case to .270.

P.S. Forgot to mention you'll need to FL resize your .270 cases before forming .308 cases.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Hopefully they will be the same agents from Waco and Ruby Ridge.:rolleyes:

11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Once you have it formed the first time, why fire form it? Why not just load it and shoot? Otherwise isn't it like buying commercial ammo and fire forming it first too?

12. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    Great question, ptbrauch. Reason for fire forming is that the shoulder is different on a .308 case than on a .270 or .30-06 case, thus fire forming is a necessary step. After I fire form, I then proceed to inside neck ream the case as the brass is too thick at this point. The only reason I am forming .308 cases is just in case .308 brass becomes impossible to find. At this point-in-time I have an ample supply of .308 brass, but wanted the option to be able to make .308 brass if I needed to. ~ BTW, I was in Walmart yesterday morning and they had NO .308 ammo!! Saw only ONE box of "loose" Federal 550 rounds of .22 LR's.

13. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    But you are forming a new shoulder:confused:. The 308 shoulder forms well below where the 06 shoulder was. My honest opinion is that you are simply squaring up the new shoulder and not truly benefiting from fire forming...at least not from a functionality standpoint. Can't you trim, ream or turn the necks, and use a false shoulder to headspace on, by necking up and then running it through a properly adjusted sizer die? The neck would be a bit big right at the neck/shoulder junction, providing a "false shoulder" that would keep the case from going too far into the chamber from excess headspace possibly created during forming. That way your first shot wouldn't be a wasted fireforming shot. It would be fully functional, just not as ideal as a well fireformed piece of brass, which you'd have after that firing. You may be able to accomplish the same thing in the forming operation. Are you annealing the brass after forming?

14. DRS

DRS Banned

Mar 3, 2010
    Kentucky
    .308 Brass From .270 or .30-06 Brass

But you are forming a new shoulder.

Yes I am forming a new shoulder due to the fact a .308 case is shorter than a .270 0r 30-06 case.

The 308 shoulder forms well below where the 06 shoulder was. My honest opinion is that you are simply squaring up the new shoulder and not truly benefiting from fire forming...at least not from a functionality standpoint.

Inorder for the newly formed .308 case to chamber I have to set the shoulder back a bit until the bolt on my rifle closes easily. Then I ream the neck just enough to seat a bullet & fire form, and then fully inside neck ream before resizing.

Can't you trim, ream or turn the necks, and use a false shoulder to headspace on, by necking up and then running it through a properly adjusted sizer die?

No, because it won't chamber in my rifle. I must set the shoulder back to .308 specifications, and this is why the .308 resizing die must be set back & sized full length.

The neck would be a bit big right at the neck/shoulder junction, providing a "false shoulder" that would keep the case from going too far into the chamber from excess headspace possibly created during forming.

No, haven't had the headspace issue with my case forming.

That way your first shot wouldn't be a wasted fireforming shot. It would be fully functional, just not as ideal as a well fireformed piece of brass, which you'd have after that firing. You may be able to accomplish the same thing in the forming operation.

I've been using .308" bullets that I have no use for, to fire form my cases. I use 20.0 grains of SR-4759 powder to fire form my cases and I don't think using a regular load would be good due to the fact you must inside ream the necks so excessive pressure won't be an issue.

Are you annealing the brass after forming?

I've only done 20 cases (fire form & neck ream) so far and hadn't had the chance to use full loads yet. I read that sometimes annealing can work to your disadvantage, so I am goinng to try a few cases to see if it is necessary to anneal. If I get some cracked or split necks then I'll anneal my cases. I remember I had to anneal cases to form .17 Ackley Bee cases after forming, when I had one years ago.

Like I said, I am just experimenting with forming .308 cases from .270 cases.:)

15. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Which is it?