Am I the only one not hunting this year?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by fot4, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

1. fot4

fot4 Fawn

Yesterday
    Kentucky
    Since getting back into hunting 4 or 5 years ago all I hunt is public land in Whitley and Laurel counties and have yet to see a deer while hunting! I rifle and crossbow hunt each year I find myself going deeper and deeper into public land with no success. So this year I did not see the point of wasting $62 for hunting license and deer tags with the odds of not seeing a single deer. Figured the $62 could be spent better elsewhere. If hunting license and deer tags were a little cheaper I would probably be hunting. Am I the only one who feels this way?

2. Grago

Grago 6 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Man i dont blame you i dont remember the last time i hunted and didnt see deer im fortunate to have a good place My problem health is so bad cant hardly hunt im not familiar with the areas you mentioned but i would try to put in for some quota hunts there are some decent places or try to find some guys that need another person on a cheap lease good luck hope you find a place

3. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    The first $95 I have set aside every year is for the sportsman license. I would skip lunches to save the money if I had to. No way would I let the cost talk me out of it. If I wanted to cut costs there are plenty of other ways like processing your own, not buying new gear, etc. I don’t play golf, I don’t spend money on concerts or sporting events, so I don’t feel like hunting is that much to want.

4. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    Talk to someone at Fish & Game. They might be able to give you some pointers.

Junglekat likes this.
  5. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    I’m not hunting either.

Between Blue Tongue and Bear, I have no desire to hunt my property any more.

6. fot4

fot4 Fawn

Yesterday
    Kentucky
    It's not that I can't afford it I just feel it is a waste of money. Honestly I feel license and deer tags should be a lot cheaper. Considering people who are disabled get theirs so cheap , when there is nothing wrong with over half of the check drawers.

7. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    The department does a ton for wildlife, habitat, etc. all across the commonwealth. They also don't get any tax dollars, so I'll say we are lucky they aren't higher than what they are. I realize the price may be steep for some people but they have to be able to operate. It definitely doesn't all go to salary, they make a tad above minimum wage I am assuming. No, I don't think the price is to high.

8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Seeing any sign when you made it out?

9. Vahunter23322

Vahunter23322 Fawn

Aug 13, 2016
    For the first time in nearly 35 years I’m not hunting this year. My wife suffered a head injury in February and has suffered from chronic vertigo since April. She hasn’t been able to drive since August. Since my farm in Ky is 10 hours away from where I live in Virginia, and the only place I have in VA is 2 1/2 hours away, I’ve had to forgo hunting this year including the past spring turkey season. She is making steady improvement so maybe I will get a day or two late season. I will say this, if you love to hunt and have the means to go, you should get out there even if there is a history of low deer sightings. Better yet, hunt a different location. You never know when life will throw a wrench in the gears and you won’t have a choice.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Sounds like you just suck as a hunter. I'd give it up.

Junglekat, Meatstick and barney like this.
  11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    You serious? What other hobby only costs $62 to do everyday for 5 months? Or $95 for that matter?

mac0492 likes this.
  12. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    That's a little extreme.

Hunting public land can be challenging to say the least. But for years that's all I had too. I learned to hunt on public land when I was a kid. It was tough but I think it made me a better hunter then most in the long run. Had I not had that hunters gene inside me I prolly would have gave up. But it aint in me to give up hunting. An I learned a lot about hunting and just life in general hunting on public land. An looking back I wouldn't trade it for nothing. My father took me every chance he got and we made some great memorys. I killed a lot of deer and turkeys on public land but went home empty handed more so then not. Im blessed to have good private land at the time. An I take bigger deer now then I have my whole life. Doesn't mean im a better hunter today then I was 20 years ago. Deer hunting is all about location once you become a seasoned hunter. Just because a guy produces a monster buck every year doesn't mean he is a better hunter. He could just have a better spot. Bottom line is you cant kill what aint there. My advice to you is if you really love hunting is too keep after it. Expand your horizons and by expand I mean cover as much public ground as possible during to off season and learn from your mistakes. They are out there. Just gotta find which WMA there on and where. Then get there before the next guy. Always try to kill your deer before the orange army invades. An if you don't just enjoy the outdoors. Its not always about killing. I didn't even kill a buck last yr and haven't this year either. Because I refuse to shoot another 120inch deer. But that's just me and where im at in my life and like I said I have a good place to hunt so I can do that.

As far as the fee's go I cant help you there. They maybe over priced. But that's not for me to decide. I just pay it and move on. I have spent money on a lot worse. An I always try to make up the cost in the freezer. Even if I don't kill a buck I will kill a doe or two or three and the family and I will eat every bit of them. Saving on the grocery bill.

Again hunting isn't always about the harvest. I would give every deer on my wall if I could have just one more hunt with my Grandpa who passed many years ago. We made some awesome memorys in the woods and most of them didn't involve killing a deer. An I will say I have since killed bigger deer then he ever did. But I will say he was always better hunter then me if that makes since. He could out shoot me in every manner. An had hunting in his blood. But in his time there wasn't deer like there is today and he didn't have a ton of good private land to hunt either. But I assure you if he had hunted in todays times on some of the ground I have hunted he would have kill just as much or more then I do.
    Now I spend most of my time trying to get my dad on a good buck. That to me is more important then me killing aswell. Moral of the story there is just so much more to hunting then just harvesting.