Alright Paper Mouth Pro's...

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by strapassassin, Feb 2, 2014.

1. BIGBADDAD

BIGBADDAD 10 pointer

I have but never caught two at a time. Brushpiles will cost you big time when your park that rig in it. I'd just as soon use a two jig spiderrig. Only ever use light wire painted jig heads...no sliders.

2. KHAdmin

KHAdmin 8 pointer

Aug 17, 2012
    Minnows and worms: from top to bottom......bobber stopper, bead, slip bobber, bead, swivel, #2 hook rig and split shot below the rig's knot. That's when I fish off the dock with a couple rods.

Jigs: ultra light weight rod and reel, 6lb test, painted jig heads and I use either bobby garland or mr. crappie black/pink, black/chartruse, blue/chartruse, pink (electric chicken - B.G).

3. KHAdmin

KHAdmin 8 pointer

Aug 17, 2012
    I never tried those but have been wanting to. I have caught two at a time before while using these and during spawn. That is a blast, when you don't even have to take them off by hand, they just flop off to the bottom of the boat and the minnows are still on their hook!!!:
    10128220.jpg

4. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    My favorite Spring Crappie pattern is southern facing (north shore) lily pad beds, say 2-6 foot of water. Just when the pads start breaking through the dark colored bottom, all kinds of bait gets stirred up, and the crappies will move in since the dark bottom is warming the shallows also. I work a small jig and tube grub under a slip bobber, and tip with a wax worm/ bee moth grub. As the lilies grow further, spinner baits for bass work also.

5. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    Who needs to wait for spring? We had 40 keepers last weekend in 34.5 degree water and one of those was 2.8 lbs. :eagerness:

6. strapassassin

strapassassin Spike

Nov 22, 2011
    Rub it in!...why don't ya!...lol. Here on the dead sea, 4 hrs either direction to the nearest eatin' size crappie. Congrats on a successful trip my friend.

7. whitleycotrapper

whitleycotrapper 12 pointer

May 20, 2005
    Williamsburg, KY
    Weather next week looks to be nice. I will be out giving it a go

8. strapassassin

strapassassin Spike

Nov 22, 2011
    You fellers have a recommendation on painted jig-heads? Where, brand to buy? I know the paint will not last forever, especially when you plan on catching the numbers that I do...lol...ha! Many jig-heads leave most of the paint behind in the package...

9. strapassassin

strapassassin Spike

Nov 22, 2011
    Good luck! Leave some for seed. I plan on trying to get out there myself. I be wearin' my bikini it if hits the forecasted 60 degrees...lol.

10. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I quit buying painted heads, and started painting my own. I am a fan of sickle hooks and light wire hooks. A small toaster oven, a heat gun, a home made fluid bed, and a small aquarium aerator pump and your off and running.

There are plenty of how to videos on youtube. You can go as low tech or high tech as you want to.

11. strapassassin

strapassassin Spike

Nov 22, 2011
    I know this sounds crazy...but you got me thinkin'...LOOK OUT!

with all this bright finger nail polish now a days...couldn't a man paint him a few up? I would assume it wouldn't stick real well with out heating the jig head up?

just how crazy say you?

12. Grey

Grey Spike

Nov 15, 2013
    Finger nail will stick without heating the jig head. I think it might be dangerous to heat the head and then apply the polish. You might want to investigate painting your jig heads using powder paint. It takes some trial and error but it is fairly simple, just heat the jig head with a heat gun while holding the jig with forceps then dip in the powder paint and tap the excess paint off. You can use them after they have cooled but a toaster oven comes in handy to cure them. If you get a decent paint job and cure them you almost can't beat the paint off them. Lots of information on youtube and other websites.

13. stevenvalleyagain

stevenvalleyagain 10 pointer

Aug 15, 2005
    Valley station
    My dad started painting jig heads and Bullitt weights 25 years ago with finger nail polish. We don't paint them nearly as often as we use to but nail polish does work fairly well. If you fish alot of rocky structure, particularly worm fishing, it does eventually knock off the nail polish but it's not as much of an issue for jig heads, particularly if they aren't bumping rocks.

14. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I haven't tried nail polish, so I can't say either way. I like dipping and baking. I don't have issues with paint chipping. I usually break off in a brush pile long before the paint would chip away.