Alpha Gal

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by JonDunn, Sep 12, 2020.

1. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Man Jon I hate to hear anyone going through this. Hope you find a balance and eventually be able to eat a little. Or maybe a treatment will come out.

2. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I'm gonna bring this back to the top.
    Has anyone tried ostrich or emu? I've been reading some things online. Im tryin to find a country boy diet I can follow here, but I don't know how itll turn out. Im a quit person by nature business wise, an all my friends I've told aren't really helping in the situation. They just say I may as well be vegetarian lol.

3. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Dang jon hate to hear news, I can't imagine. You thought about getting a second opinion?

4. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Yeah, i recollect liking it (but it may be too high in iron for you). I know if i couldnt eat beef or deer id love it! If it ends up being something you can eat and like the taste it may make sense to raise them yourself as prices im seeing online are just stupid. Plus you’d always have the upper hand when we start posting our big double yolk chicken egg pics

EdLongshanks and Nock like this.
  5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    My wife ordered both from a place in Tennessee. I can ask her where. Best to my memory the ostrich was good but didn’t care for the emu. Butterball brand makes some turkey burgers already in patties frozen. They are pretty good. Best turkey burgers I’ve ate. I like them. She has purchased salmon burgers always. They are tasty too.

6. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Your right. I seen it was high in iron after you said that. Count me out. Life can be a be a.......

Turkey burger is pretty good. The ol lady fixed it a few days ago in some spaghetti.

7. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    It hadn't really crossed my mind. Hes a pretty well trusted doctor. Ive not heard any bad on him. He isn't the one that looks at the blood though, he just shares the results I reckon. They may have screwed up for all I know, but the symptoms I had point to alpha gal.

8. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    You might ask your doctor about a referral to a clinical dietician....Most insurance plans would cover the cost.

9. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    You won't need a second opinion , Just eat a regular hamburger and wait. If you break out it is Alpha-gal if not then eat more burgers and see if it causes a allergic reaction . Reaction can take up to 8 hours.
    They say those vegie burgers are good . I am going to buy some for my wife unless they are too costly.

You can buy tame rabbit meat and they are really good .

10. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    I'm about half afraid to try anything mammal wise. He said he was goin to be very blunt. He said, " your next bite of red meat, your next bite of 4 legged animal could be your last bite you ever take." That's pretty cut and dry to me. Im goin to talk to me hematologist about a dietician.

EdLongshanks and timer like this.
  11. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Did the Doctor prescribe you an EpiPen? My son carried one for years but never needed it. I have seen him chew up 3 Benadryl at once, and it moderated symptoms... Benadryl is your friend now. NEVER be without it.
    His symptoms would appear in 15 minutes of eating Beef.

Nock and barney like this.
  12. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Jones
    I hate to hear this not being able to eat meat.
    What about quail, pheasants etc.

What happened to Trust Me,
    Haven't seen him on here in ages

13. JonDunn

JonDunn 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2005
    Up the holler
    Yea he gave me an epipen though he said they weren't fool proof. He then said dont go eating anything thinking cause I have one that I can just give myself a shot.

Yea Feedman, I can eat anything like that. Chicken, turkey, fish, any fowl. On your question about Trust Me, I reckon he got tired of all the drama about politics and stays away. Cant say I blame him on that. Grown men acting like children that can't respect another opinion, no matter which side of the isle your on.

Munson, Feedman and HeadedWest like this.
  14. HeadedWest

HeadedWest 6 pointer

Nov 22, 2016
    I can only imagine this disease will get more and more of us...hope you get a good system figured out.

15. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    EpiPens are kinda an emergency use item. Like if you accidentally were mistaken about what something was made of and ate it.
    We used to have Buffets....maybe again? Anyway, food items, tongs and Dipping spoons can get mixed up on places like that. Some people have it so bad that just a Spoon Mixup can get them.
    If you Ain't Sure....Don't eat it and don't leave home without a few packs of Benadryl.