All my hard work wasted!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by yotekiller, Jun 20, 2002.

1. yotekiller

yotekiller Banned

Jan 20, 2002
    After getting 5 coyotes last winter&spring i figured this years fawn and poult survival would have to increase,and for the past two weeks i have been seeing a fawn around the house or my road and feeling pretty good about it.Monday i noticed my neighbors black lab laying next to a fence in the shade eating,so as i got closer i inspected his catch and sure enough it was the fawn that i had thought i saved from yotes.
    It was a fresh kill so i know the lab got it,i was really pissed but then i realized it was not my dog or my property so i was kinda helpless.Needlessly pissed anyway.

It has got me to wondering just how much fawn mortality is due to domesticated dogs running loose,i always knew if you want to cut down on rabbit numbers just get a few cats,but i never thought about loose dogs killing fawns.

2. gates

gates 6 pointer

Jan 8, 2002
    Morgantown, KY, USA.
    I read an artical once about mortality in wildlife. The largest predator of most wildlife species is domestic cats and dogs, they take more wildlife than hunters or normal predators. I have the same problem. I have a deer feeder in my back yard and Me and my wife was sitting on the porch. We heard dogs and saw a fawn run across the yard with 2 fox hounds and some mutt close behind. I never saw that fawn with the doe again. This was on my property and still there is nothing you can do. I plan on getting a yellow lab and have a page wire fence of about 1.5 acres for it to stay in. It will only be loose when it is with me or my boys.

James

3. Marcus

Marcus 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    My neighbor's dog dragged a doe fawn in last week. It was barely living. He bundled the little fawn up and got her some goat formula and tried to keep it alive. It went into shock that night and died. I was so mad. I can't believe people let the dogs run loose like that to do what is inherent in them(kill)!

4. .300Savage

.300Savage 6 pointer

I saw 2 mutts running a fawn this spring squirrel season. I don't know the fate of the fawn, but I always see dogs running deer through the woods. People need to control their animals.

Rocco

5. muzzy125acc

muzzy125acc 12 pointer

Oct 31, 2002
    PULASKI CO..
    dogs can really mess up a good hunting area

6. Big58cal

Big58cal 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    KY
    Guys, if people aren't going to control their animals, then CONTROL THEM FOR THEM! A couple of years ago, I had a big black cat start stalking my turkey decoys. This was about a mile from the nearest house. Needless to say, the cat won't stalk turkeys anymore. Then there was the big black lab that ran a deer in front of me during bow season several years ago. There again, the dog isn't running deer anymore.

If people won't control their animals, then someone else should.