Albino killed in Hancock Co..... and a piebald question.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Xi Bowhunter, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    First, did anybody see the story about the albino buck that was killed in hancock county? I didn't get to see the article, but I heard about it from several people. there must be several albinos running around that county, because I saw one that a guy killed last year hanging in his front yard, and a woman that works in my office has one that they see regurally behind her house.

Second, how would you go about mounting a piebald doe? I saw the first one of my life while I was puting up my blind on thanksgiving, and in all reality, I could have shot it if I had my xbow with me. If I get a shot at it, I was wondering how you guys would suggest mounting it.

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

I'd probably just have the hide hung. But then again, when I see them (piebalds) while in stand I put my bow down and take pictures on my phone instead. We have a buck and a doe in our area again. Second time in 5 years (though I have yet to see the buck this time). Funny that all the neighboring property owners I talk to see them too and none of us have an explanation why we let them walk. Too cool to shoot I guess.

3. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    I had never seen one in my life until Thanksgiving morning, and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I have no idea how it made it through the gun season. It was actually more white than anything. Hardly any tan or brown on it.

4. ggodwin

ggodwin 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Boone County
    My dad got an 8 point piebald in the 80's. Velma Smith mounted the entire deer and it stood in the Owensboro museum for a while.

5. Drew07

Drew07 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Id just have it standing with a slight turn, my dad is doing a full bodied mount of an albino button buck that his friend got.

6. predator

predator 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2006
    Leitchfield, Ky.
    I had my eye on a piebald doe for the last couple of years. If I was able to harvest it, the cape was going to be tanned and displayed like a bear skin rug.

7. AMR40509

AMR40509 6 pointer

May 10, 2005
    I grew up in Hancock Co - I remember as a kid you'd see albino deer all of the time while driving that streach of Highway 60 just West of Hawesville. Especially the area on the right just after you passed Brown's Used Cars.

8. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    They are still there. The lady I work with that sees one on the back of her property lives just past Brown's on the left side of the road.

9. OhioCoHunter

OhioCoHunter Fawn

Nov 24, 2006
    Beaver Dam, KY
    I read in Reader's Write, in the Owensboro paper, that the albiono buck was MURDERED!!!! The Idiot that wrote the artical stated that it was her pet deer. I guess you better not let your pets run loose in Hancock County. I hope he at least sent the coller back to her.

10. bahouse3

bahouse3 Spike

Oct 25, 2005
    Hancock Co.
    I live and hunt in Hancock. I have seen several albinos in the places you guys have mentioned. The article in the Messenger a week or so ago was a joke. This guy was caught on a farm in hancock shooting from the road by the land owner I know personally. So, I would say that deer was probably poached. I was told he killed it near Vastwood Park which isn't far from where you guys are talking about.

11. mason0366

mason0366 8 pointer

Jan 4, 2008
    Eubank Ky
    Wonder if she had a permit for it.