Air rifle

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Gooch, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Gooch

Gooch 10 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    Was wondering if anyone was using a air rifle for squirrels and if so what ur favorite setups

2. Joseph

Joseph Spike

Jul 10, 2016
    Lexington ky
    I bought Air rifle for a little over $100 with a good scope and I can put em down. At 30 yards I can average about I inch groups

3. Rossi

Rossi 6 pointer

Oct 19, 2009
    Montgomery Co. , KY
    what brand did you get for a $100 bucks I have been wanting to try this .

4. Joseph

Joseph Spike

Jul 10, 2016
    Lexington ky

It was the gamo big cat but I could have been wrong about the price from what I seen online and it seemed like they quit selling it. It was 1400 fps. I've killed a few small groundhogs but that's just getting lucky, They don't down easy. I've only had to adjust the scope about once a year. I'd buy another gamo .

5. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    .22 cal has a little more smack down than .17 cal. I like a slower .22 to avoid sonic crack. Squirrels are tough so head shot with pellet gun is preferred. springer air rifle reloading takes a second and makes fair amount of noise. Springer air rifles are known to break scopes so if your going to scope it you have to invest in good air rifle rings and air rifle scope. Now if you want to spend $700 you can get a the kind of air rifle you fill with scuba tank or air pump and that's whole other sweet world.

6. Gooch

Gooch 10 pointer

Feb 24, 2004
    .lincoln co ky
    Just looking for some thing to plug Several squirrel Fairly inexpensive and doesn’t make much noise since I am shooting the squirrels off of my deer feeder

7. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    just about any will throw a pellet I've had luck with GAMO and Benjamin springers on the cheep. they been building them for a long time. I bought a gamo wildcat .22 on sale at store that stopped selling fire arms for like $60 bucks 3 years ago and it was amazing accurate for the money. Finding the right pellet is key but crossman premier domed seem to be a good all around safe bet.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  8. I have a Gamo springer bone collector 17 cal that cracks louder than a rifle. It is fast but only accurate out to about 35y. Also have a Benjamin Maurader 22cal 10shot PCP. That is very effective and almost the same as a 22 short. It is effective out to 50y. I have killed squirrels with it but not the 17. Last one took two shots to down. The Benjamin is heavier than a varmint class 22lr but is quieter with its built in silencer. It runs about 900fps.

9. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    PCP's are sweet and prices have dropped in last couple of years. You can get in one with pump for around $400. But since he said cheap to keep the squirrels off his feeder I assumed pcp was out.

Yes I find .22 is better but a .17 to the head will do it. To the body and you won't likely find it as to big of a chance it will find a hole to hide in. It happens enough with .22 lr.