After work quickie turns out to be an awesome surprise!

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by BassAddict83, Jul 14, 2013.

1. BassAddict83

BassAddict83 Spike

May 15, 2013
    I've had my eye on this little pond near my work for quite some time now. I don't know if its on private property. I don't know if I'm allowed to fish there but there are no "No Trespassing" signs or "No Fishing" signs anywhere around it so I figured what the heck...

The only place to park is at a little corner store next to the property. I pulled in and saw the clerk standing outside the door having a smoke. I got out and went up to him and asked him if he minded that I parked there for just a few minutes to make a couple casts into the pond real quick. He said he didn't care. I asked him if he ever saw anyone fish that pond. He said yes, occasionally, but he'd never seen anyone catch anything out of it. I told him that was alright. I just wanted to give it a quick shot and I thanked him for his permission to use his parking lot.

I went back to the truck and grabbed my fly rod and fly bag. I looked at the net and debated whether or not to grab it. I decided against it since I only planned on making a few casts.

I headed over to the little pond and saw that there were really no openings among the cat tails that lined the bank and on the other side of those was about 4 or 5 feet of lily pads and weeds. There are a lot of reasons why I like fly fishing more than spin fishing but this has to be in the top 5. With the fly rod you don't have to worry about things like this. Just cast over it and pop the line up before it gets back to the vegetation during your retrieve. Spinning tackle would be almost impossible to fish effectively in a place like this.

I was using the 7wt this time and it already had a brown wooly bugger tied on. Being one of my go-to flies I stuck with it. I made a few casts and felt a few taps as I slowly stripped the line back in but nothing would hook up. I made another cast back out and gave it a couple more strips when I felt a BIG thump. I saw my fly line tightening up so I pulled up on the rod and BOOM! Fish on! I loosened up my grip on the line and let the fish run out to deeper water. When all the excess line had made its way up the rod the reel started singing. I've said it before and I'll say it again... that is my absolute favorite sound in the world! I held my rod up high, listened to the sweet reel music, and watched my line zig zag through the little pond. I knew this was a big fish but I had no idea what it was. After a couple minutes it started tiring out and I was able to start reeling it in. I finally got it to the edge of all the vegetation and began wishing I had grabbed that dang net. I still didn't know what I had hooked but I knew it was big and I knew these weeds and lilies were going to be a problem. I only had 8lb mono on the end of my leader and I really didn't want to break this one off. Luckily for me the fish was worn out. I pulled straight up and saw the big lips of a channel cat break the surface. My first catfish on the fly! The only thing I could do was easily pull it through the weeds and pray the line didn't snap. It was nerve racking but I finally got it close enough to reach through the cat tails, grab it by the mouth and pull it up on the bank. Victory was mine! I laid it down for a quick photo shoot, took some measurements, and put it back into the pond. And with that my after work quickie came to an end.

24 inches long, 4.5 lbs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    You run coon hounds?

3. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Amazing, just amazing. 1st.

4. KYhunter79

KYhunter79 12 pointer

Dec 11, 2003
    Irvington, KY
    Lol after the first sentence I knew exactly where this was heading.

4th post.

5. What the heck!

6. toxic

toxic 10 pointer

Nov 10, 2012
    J-TOWN (LOUISVILLE)
    That's awesome! I bet it felt like a 1 ton pickup on the fly. Lol

7. Hoyt Heartsplitter

Hoyt Heartsplitter 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2007
    You know this thread should surprise me but after having a farm on a main road next to a popular creek I've heard every excuse in the world. The best one was and I quote "I didn't think anyone owned this land so I thought it would be ok to fish".

8. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

That's exactly how I met Meador. I was driving around & seen a nice 150ish 10 pointer in a field & decided he would do. It was a 200 yard shot but no problem for the ol 30-06. While harvesting my score I came across a very nice lake full of 2 inch sunfish & muskrats. So... I decided to just cut the rack off & save my tag for later. Caught my limit on both & made a friend for life! What a fine Sempt day!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  9. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I see you still have internet connection in jail. I mailed off your list of essential supplies on Saturday. I understand your request for condoms, but I thought the cigarettes were not allowed in the clink.

10. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Conjugal visit???

11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.

12. BassAddict83

BassAddict83 Spike

May 15, 2013
    Yeah I guess having the "what the heck" attitude was not a good decision on my part. Even though there were no signs saying I couldnt fish there didn't make it right for me to be there. I understand the negative feelings some may have about me fishing in a place I was unsure of. That is definitely something I'm going to keep in mind in the future. I hope I havent made a bad name for myself for you guys.

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm just disappointed in the whole thread. This is the worst "quickie" story I've ever read.

14. nwest

nwest 12 pointer

^^^^ what he said

15. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

I know a guy that would see you weren't fit to fish in the future!

Do you have a sign on your front door explaining no dumping? Didnt think so. Does that mean I can walk right in & take a crap? If so I'll give Meador directions!