After the season discussion.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Grago, May 15, 2021.

1. Bowonly86

Bowonly86 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2019
    Pendleton county
    8125B8E3-F37D-4356-988C-054F5C6317A9.jpeg I called in two birds opening morning on my place and killed one. Hunted A different piece of property day two with no luck. I took a vacation day on day 3, got a late start and headed out on my place around 9:30 had a bird come in to 25 yards silent and killed him. Saw a lot of birds and left plenty for seed here at home. The other property I hunt is usually a sure thing for at least one bird, but this year hearing a gobble was rare so hopefully next year brings more birds to that farm. 43B39E6F-0C6A-4EFE-ABE8-41EBEF9B560B.jpeg

Grago and 1wildcatfan like this.
  2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Never saw a long beard while hunting this year on any of the 4 farms I had access to in Pulaski. Heard some gobbling on a couple of days that may have been mature birds but never seen them and they never responded to calls. The only gobbling and strutting birds I saw were jakes. 2 together on one occasion came down the field edge to my calling but zigged instead of zagged and didn't see my decoys. Next close encounter was a middle of the day hunt where I struck a bird that worked up the holler to me gobbling. He stayed way left and was near behind me before i finally laid eyes on him after he has shut up. Another jake!! Called a fourth strutting jake up a nice open ridge at daybreak the Saturday of the last weekend and he hung up at 75 yards because it was just too open. That evening I decided to walk back into that set up and walked up on 2 jakes just out from where I had been set up that am. I saw them about the time they saw me but only one was wise enough to get the heck out of dodge and the other took a ride home with me. I have seen and heard jakes gobble/strut in my lifetime but never like this year. I guess maybe the lack of mature birds allowed them to have the stones to do so??? I have no idea. Two bad years in a row for me. I think I may hang up the calls and crappie fish more.

Grago likes this.
  3. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Had a good year. Finished my world slam and tagged out in ky on 2 long beards. They gobbled good most days. Plenty of birds. Made a few mistakes. Moving when I should have stayed put and prolly over calling. Lol.

Grago, drakeshooter, RLWEBB and 3 others like this.
  4. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    I had a great season, although it was very cold and not the usual weather. I killed a couple birds, saw a bunch of deer, and a bunch of elk. I’m blessed to hunt some really good property and just being out there and seeing the critters is a joy to me. I’m very thankful to have gotten to just be out there.