After retirement and a little before...

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by TripleGee, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    3G,
    We will arrange a get to together with @JR in KY for a cold one an some grub

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    JR in KY and TripleGee like this.
  2. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville

Attached Files:

timer, DaveO, jblack1 and 5 others like this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    When you do figure out what’s next let us know where you landed.

TripleGee likes this.
  4. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    Drove out the parkway and got off at Eli exit. Several metal buildings there with living quarters. Took several pictures for sizes colors configurations etc. Productive day.
    Metal supposedly is 30% cheaper than stick built. Gonna find a plan and price it sometime soon.

5. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Check prices with Dutchmans for the metal, they're usually quite a bit cheaper than Macs.

TripleGee likes this.
  6. Brody

Brody 8 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Getting ready to do this myself, a 32x60, small down apt, big garage. Hundred acres surrounded by DBNF, gonna slow things way down. Tired of this ratrace that seems like rats are winning

Southpaw, Tankt, hunt and 6 others like this.
  7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    @Gforcetrivers , I read you rented the house and were "Forced" to live in the Barn....if That's the Barn...
    I sure don't feel sorry for you. That's really beautiful. Love it.

Gforcetrivers, timer and Feedman like this.
  8. grinder

grinder 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Thats a neat looking setup, but what i dont like is the stairs. Retirement for me is from now on, and that means ‘no steps’. I built my home 25 years ago, a one floor ranch. It does have a basement, but it is a walkout, and laundry, all necessities are on one floor. Steps aint good for old folks.

1wildcatfan and riverboss like this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I like that setup enough to by a lift it I had to.

10. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Agree. That is really pretty. I built mine with a loft at one end over the bedroom/office and bathroom. Mine is down right ugly on the outside, but very functional....

I only have the bedroom/office and bathroom insulated in mine. I can keep the rooms comfortable with just a small space heater. Did you insulate your entire cabin? If so, how? Also, do you have a/c?

11. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 12 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Stairs aint so bad. At least not right now.Would have built on one level but that would have cut down on the view considerably. When the time comes we can live the house it has a downstairs bedroom.

12. Anybody building now is in for some sticker shock. Metal alone is up 40-50% or more over last year. A stud is double or more. This place I’m building has cost AT LEAST 50% more than I had planned. Good luck, I’d hold out a year or two.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Not surprised. They’ve gouged the heck out of everyone with lumber prices during Covid. Did some remodeling in the kitchen back in the Fall and boards and trim were stupid high.

jblack1 and 1wildcatfan like this.
  14. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I couldn't believe it. Over the weekend I intended to get materials to build a half enclosed lean-to off my barn. After pricing the metal and lumber, I don't need it that damn bad. Even without the walls, it was gonna cost more than it would have a year ago enclosed.

jblack1 and drakeshooter like this.
  15. Finding reliable contractors can be an issue too right now, it’s wide open and they’re charging pretty much whatever they want.

Munson, xbokilla and jblack1 like this.