Aeria Maps of your hunting area

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Suthrn2k8, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Now thats a nice map! I like the countour lines especially, i can tell how steep of an area id be going into. and what to espect!

Just a side bar the closer the countour lines the steeper the terrain...the farther the flater-ish...FINALLY this military knowlege pays off ...well somewhat haha

2. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Yeah, I'm an old military man myself, but being able to see both really puts it into perspective. This is why I like this software.

3. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Poster size, no. But you could print up as many of these as you want once you learn the software. You could divide your land into smaller grids and make/print your own maps. You can even put in different icons to represent different landmarks or whatever. It's really easier than it sounds, but you can get really complex stuff if you want too.

4. Gnarly

Gnarly 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Crossroads to Nowhere,KY
    Thanx! for neat sites!]

----Gnarly

5. Al

Al 12 pointer

Jan 14, 2004
    Incognito, ky, USA.
    Thats what I did with terraserver usa, i printed up several pages and taped them together.
    Im wondering if there is some company that I could order maps from.
    I suppose wiht the site your talking about I have to log on and down load their software.

6. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Yes, the software is free and they have various layers that you can download. I think there are some companies where you can order maps. Try Topozone.com. I think you can order maps from the National Geological site or even from Kentucky's geographic society. I like being able to do my own and besides prnter ink and paper are the only costs.

7. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Very nice Mepp.. I too really like the topo and terrain features shown on that.

I did actually make a map using the site i listed and it really was a chore but the result was well worth it. Zoomed in to a 2960 aspect and printed out 60 images 3x5 and taped em all together for a gift to my grand dad. Was a whole lot of puzzle work but looks awesome. Ive also ordered a map of the same 140 acre property which was nice but it just wasnt a close enough aerial of the property and i couldnt get it any closer through the company i used. It was very nice though and laminated in a weatherproofing material.

8. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County

Try www.mytopo.com. Thats where I get all my maps from. You can get the USGS map or a black and white aerial. Just keep in mind the aerial shot can be several years old. 15 years old in my case. But the map is about 2 ft by 3 ft and comes on waterproof paper, so you can take it to the field with you.

9. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY

This is the one I use. It is very nice because you can zoom to a gps coordinance and go back and forth between topo and aerial photo. It is printable and saveable too.

10. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    I agree that it is a good one but the view is too small, i like a full screen view and the ability to mark spots..

11. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY

Yes it is.

12. hillbillyhunter3

hillbillyhunter3 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2008
    NKY
    If you have gis software, here is a link to some different coverages you can download.

You can get USGS topo maps, soil geology, aerials, wetlands ...

http://www.uky.edu/KGS/gis/kgs_gis.htm

If you get good with it, there is a way make 3D maps similar to the one Mepperson posted.

You can also use the geology coverage to see what type of soils you have in your area...helpful to see if it will hold water for ponds.

13. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Yeah, the Geographic Information contained in some of these files are great. You can even get them with data on species of animals and plants which might be of interest to many people.