Aeria Maps of your hunting area

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Suthrn2k8, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Hey guys. Most of you have probably used these maps before but i thought id post it up for those that dont know. The Ky depts website has what i think has to be the best aerial map site for those of us in ky. I used to use terraserver but this it way way better. If you keep zooming in you get much more detail than terraserver or google maps and the area is detailed not just in places but over the entire state. //http://kygeonet.ky.gov/kdfwr/viewer.htm

2. I just don't think you can beat these. Ramp at Lake Malone State Park. Less than 2 year old imagery!!!
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=q5cw9p7rd8k9&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=13136941&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

EDIT: Now if your county has not paid to have this new imagery....you will not have the "Birds Eye View" Option. thus, the best images you will see here will be under "Ariel". Here is an example...... I live in Muhlenberg County. I do know that Ohio, Butler,Todd,Logan.....he counties that surround me, DO NOT have the Birds Eye View.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=37.079225~-87.036701&style=h&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=13136941&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008

3. very nice im gonna start using this instead of google earth

4. Suthrn2k8

Suthrn2k8 6 pointer

Oct 16, 2008
    Shelby Co. Ky.
    Thats a great one too 12 pointer. My county is one of those that dosent show birds eye view though which means for more detail the other one is better aerial wise for me. Gonna bookmark this one for sure too. Tks.

5. O'Brien

O'Brien 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2008
    Boone County
    Boone Co. has it's own aerial maps on our PVA (property valuation admin.)website. What's nice is you can see parcels, land owners names, boundaries etc.

Do you guys have that available to you in your county?

6. I am not for sure. :confused:

7. O'Brien

O'Brien 8 pointer

Oct 28, 2008
    Boone County
    Hey 12 try calling your county. I searched and found that your county is now offering a website. I included the here for you. See if they have aerial photos for you. Boone Co. is free, but unfortuantely Muhlenberg is charging a minimum it appears of $30 for access. But may be worth it to see boundaries, parcels, land owners names etc. Great tool for hunting and also getting new land to hunt. You have a head start on contacting folks.

Good luck!

http://www.muhlcopva.org/information.html

8. Al

Al 12 pointer

Jan 14, 2004
    Incognito, ky, USA.
    12 pointer, have you tried printing off of that site, it didnt work well for me, just a 3x4 size.

9. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Sorry guys but if you ever use ArcGIS Explorer, you'll never go back to the others. You can tweak different layers to get more detail and almost 3D terrain features. I like it much better than google earth, topozone, and terraserver. You actually have a lot of freedom to manipulate layers, add shapefiles, and save/print maps. You should check it out, do a search for ARCGIS.

10. Al

Al 12 pointer

Jan 14, 2004
    Incognito, ky, USA.
    Suthrn I went on that map an kept clicking on our farm. It was a topo map till it zoomed in close and then it went to a color ariel. It was pics from the late summer to early fall 2 yrs ago because it had my my food plots and one that I only planted that yr. It had my house and cars parked in the driveway.
    It is a very nice map but it is slow and only a small area, It wouldnt let me enlarge it or print it out.
    It was the most up dated ariel Ive seen and the had the creeks marked.
    Very nice.

11. Al

Al 12 pointer

Jan 14, 2004
    Incognito, ky, USA.
    Mepperson, what are layers?

12. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Well, I'll try to explain it but I'm no expert. In mapping software like Google earth and ARCGIS, different mapping aspects like transportation, topgraphic contour lines, imagery (aerial), and other things can be placed in layers on your map. Having layers allows you to toggle (on and off) these layers as well as fade them in and out so you can look at a combination of them. Nutcase found that by placing the layers in a particular order and fading one or more in or out, it can make specific terrain features almost leap out of the map. You can combine the layers so that you can see the aerial photos with the contour lines. It's a really neat way to look at your hunting ground just a little differently. The concept of GIS data inside the maps also makes the use of digital mapping limitless. It a litle more complex than this and I'll try to see if I can find more info for you.

13. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Here is an example....not a great one. But you should be able to see the contour lines along with the terrain features. This was done by just fading the image and contour lines in and out till I get what i want. I hope you can see what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

14. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    Oh, by the way...there are no deer where those thumbtacks are!

15. Al

Al 12 pointer

Jan 14, 2004
    Incognito, ky, USA.
    Ok thanks I think I understand. Would you happen to know how I could get a poster sized print of the farm and surrounding area? Mabey a 2 sq mile area?