Advice for KY Bear Hunting

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by loganlee, Nov 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. loganlee

loganlee Fawn

Sep 30, 2019
    Edmonton, KY
    Hey guys, just curious who on here has hunted bear in KY? And what advice you may have. I plan to go during modern gun season and am thinking about trying Beaver Creek WMA. This will be my first time hunting bear so any advice will be appreciated, thanks in advance!

blueridge42 likes this.
  2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Beaver creek WMA in what county.

blueridge42 likes this.
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Never hunted any but got a buddy who hunts a place off 80 between Somerset/London and they are loaded with them. He’s not far from Beaver Creek, gotta be some there! Good luck!

blueridge42 likes this.
  4. loganlee

loganlee Fawn

Sep 30, 2019
    Edmonton, KY
    Pulaski.

blueridge42 likes this.
  5. loganlee

loganlee Fawn

Sep 30, 2019
    Edmonton, KY
    Thank you! I appreciate it!

6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Oh ok. Cause there’s a beaver creek wma here in barren.

7. Joseph

Joseph Fawn

Jul 10, 2016
    Lexington ky
    I live in Lexington but was raised in Martin co, I don't know if its legal any further north in ky. I've thought about going back home and hunting em or trying to go somewhere in heart or ky bear country

loganlee likes this.
  8. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

Hunting bear is frustrating. Once the middle of Oct hits they get unpredictable. Up until then I’ll get pics of 2-3 bears per couple days. Gotta find fresh sign because they’re always on the move later in the year. They’ll hang around a few days and then vanish. At least that’s how it is here in Harlan.

loganlee likes this.
  9. loganlee

loganlee Fawn

Sep 30, 2019
    Edmonton, KY
    Thanks for the advice! I’m gonna go down the weekend before and spend a day looking for fresh sign and glassing. Would you recommend just setting up on a trail that I find sign on? Also I’ve seen online people using predator calls to bring em in, is that something you’d recommend? Thanks again!

buzzbaiter83 likes this.
  10. buzzbaiter83

buzzbaiter83 10 pointer

As far as trails I’d stick to ridgetops with acorns that have bear sign. They really walk with no rhyme or reason sometimes but hold tight to food. If you hunt any strip mines or fields then glassing would be an option. They hide really well in the timber.

I’m not sure what State Laws are with calling. None that I know of but I’ve called for coyotes quite a bit and never had a bear come to it and we have quite a few bear here in Harlan. If it’s outside of fawn drop then I don’t see them really looking for distressed prey but that’s my opinion.

loganlee likes this.
  11. loganlee

loganlee Fawn

Sep 30, 2019
    Edmonton, KY
    Thanks a million man I really appreciate it!

buzzbaiter83 likes this.