acorns but what about chestnut oaks? The reason I ask is that the
acorns I've seen are big huge chestnut oak acorns not very many
of the others. Just wondering if the deer will key in on these or
wait on the others to fall. What do you guys think?:confused:

Buk Bust'r

6 pointer
Aug 16, 2005
Russell Springs, KY
More times than not, deer will prefer whiteoak acorns to any other as you said. I have seen them leave the others be until the whiteoaks drop. After the last wind storm came through, deer were hitting the feeder hard. The whiteoaks around me were loaded and I had seen other acorns on the ground already without much change in travel/feeding patterns. I was averaging 60-85 pics every 4-5 days on my cam during that time. After the wind got the whiteoak acorns on the ground, activity started waning off at my feeder. The acorns were still green then, after the acorns started ripening, the most pics I have had on my cam have been 12-14 every 5 days! I went on a short "walk-about" yesterday morning after I came off the stand. Below my stand on the edge of the ridge, the whiteoaks were dropping/had dropped, the sign was overwhelming! Tracks and rubs everywhere on the ridge under the whiteoaks! All around the area were other oaks and they hadn't been touched for the most part. All goes well, be sitting on that area in my climber towards the end of the week!

skin_dog1

BBBC Members
Jan 2, 2004
Bowling Green, KY, USA.
I've been told by folks more knowledgeable than me that deer don't care for chestnut oak acorns. I have a farm loaded with them and the deer aren't touching them. There was absolutely no indication of deer eating them last week.

quackrstackr

Welcome to Fantasy Island
Staff member
Nov 19, 2003
The Island
The only time that deer will eat chestunut oak acorns is when there isn't anything else available.

They are in the white oak family but have a really high tannic content, unlike the rest of the white oaks.

HappyHunter

10 pointer
Sep 11, 2003
Louisville
I used to hunt a farm that basically had two varieties of white oaks, chestnuts and chinqopins (spelling?). They would eat the chestnuts when there were no chinqupins on the ground. They will absolutely key on the chestnuts in this situations.

The chestnuts are more tannic and bitter than other white oaks but less tannic and bitter than most red or black oaks...bite into one sometime.

Latest posts