Acorns??

LoneArrow

6 pointer
Jul 21, 2016
Scott County
I had plans to check out some acorn trees in my neck of the woods today but cant. Seems like the walnut trees in my back yard are a little slim this year.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I've been seeing a ton on black oaks. I haven't looked on white oaks yet but I would guess they are loaded as well. Hickory nuts are abundant too. Looks like bumper crop in my area at least.

KYH5N1

10 pointer
Jan 19, 2008
In the nightmares of turkeys
I've seen a few red oak acorns on the ground while checking cams. Not seeing many white oaks with nuts where I've been. Got a few white oak groves to check out on the ridge tops in the next few days. Think maybe the mosquitos ate all the white oak acorns in the btms! Lol..

ancienthunter

8 pointer
Dec 25, 2011
Over the Hill
I've been checking in my area and whiteoaks seem to be slimto none, did talk to one person that found a tree that was loaded. There seems to be more red oak acorns. If this is the case and you can find that white oak that is loaded should be a good season if the squirrels don't eat them before they hit the ground. Might be a good year for corn pile hunters especially next to Mamouth Cave Park but usually I have better luck with good acorn crops.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
I've been checking in my area and whiteoaks seem to be slimto none, did talk to one person that found a tree that was loaded. There seems to be more red oak acorns. If this is the case and you can find that white oak that is loaded should be a good season if the squirrels don't eat them before they hit the ground. Might be a good year for corn pile hunters especially next to Mamouth Cave Park but usually I have better luck with good acorn crops.
That's what I'm hoping. No white oaks. Help drag the deer out of the park.

EarlyBird1

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2014
SouthCentral KY
I walked along my road with binos last week. There is a nice mix of several species. Roughly 1 in 3 whites had acorns. Roughly 1 in 5 non whites had acorns. Not as good as zero but sure as hell better than last year.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Small/premature ones where I hunt and not as many as last two years. Tons of pignut and hickory.

bdbrown66

8 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Small/premature ones where I hunt and not as many as last two years. Tons of pignut and hickory.
That's what I'm seeing here. Last year the acorns were so plentiful it was like a skating rink in my yard. Sounded like a hailstorm in the woods when they started falling.

Latest posts