Accurizing A Ruger M77

Discussion in 'Modern Firearms' started by perrymax, Mar 2, 2021.

1. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    That reminds of bassboat guys. Everyone swears the boat they own rides the best lol

Meatstick likes this.
  2. Scoony

Scoony 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2003
    Radcliff
    Rugers are a bit tricky to bed, but not difficult. I did one of mine. The way the action bolts to the stock, makes me believe that bedding will only improve it. I am not a gunsmith, but I have bedded several rifles to include a Ruger 77 tang safety. The other usual suspects to look at is the trigger and crown.

If not already mentioned, I believe the KY Gun Company has a gunsmith.

davers likes this.
  3. Tankt

Tankt 10 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    The former gunsmith there wasn't worth a shit. I dont know about the new guy. He quoted me a price for a trigger job on my 9mm. $50 and that included the parts. Told him I already had the parts. He said the price was the same and I shouldn't have bought the parts. I told him to....well...you can imagine.

Installed the damn thing myself. After that interaction, I am not fond of the guy.

4. tc tom

tc tom Fawn

Jan 6, 2007
    Do you reload? I have a 7mag M77 that would not shoot under 1 1/2 at a 100 for a 3 shots using several different factory loads. My first try at reloads for it was 3/4”. My current load will put 5 around a 1/2” if I do my part
    Tom

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I know Gary Romans is no longer with us, but his shop used to be known for working on Rugers. Especially polishing the triggers to improve them. I kick myself every once in a while when I think about how I could've had the old man do mine, but never took the time to take it in.

6. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I have a 70's model in 3006 with adjustable trigger that's a tack driver! All original wood it's never had anything done to it, factory iron sights with probably the best blueing I have ever seen, it was left to me by my late brother who bought it new.
    Would love to kill a elk with it.

FOWLER2671, Feedman and jblack1 like this.
  7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    My model 77 came with a factory adjustable trigger.

riverboss and jblack1 like this.