? about Redbird WMA going Archery only

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by luckychucky, Dec 16, 2012.

1. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    The KFWD is proposing that Redbird WMA will go Archery only next year for Deer. I was wondering what is considered the Redbird wma. Is the Wma only on the Leslie county side of 421, or is the DBNF Land on the Clay side of 421 also considered WMA. On page 51 of the public hunting land, it says that the wma is open to elk hunting unit 6a quota hunts. The Redbird Wma is listed as 6B, on the 2012 elk hunting units pdf file. It cant be both, and wont matter if they lift the EHU zones. Also I was curious if the public land on the Peabody side of Route 66 would be considered Redbird Wma or public land under DBNF land that would still remain open to gun hunting. Either way, I figured it was a typo mistake in the public hunting book saying that Redbird was 6a. I spent this weekend scouting and getting familiar with the wma since its going bow only for deer. Didnt see a deer, lol. Saw about 6 people black powder hunting as I was wondering around in Sugar Creek and Gilberts Creek. One of the prettiest places I ever walked through in some areas. Everyone I talked to said about the same thing, deer very scattered, hardly saw any, lol. I may have looked at the book wrong, but I figured I would ask. This weekend was my first time in Redbird!

2. LSOSGT1109

LSOSGT1109 10 pointer

Jul 22, 2012
    Laurel County
    Beautiful country for sure! A friend of mine takes a nice buck every year out of redbird, usually with a bow. He works is butt off for them though!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

3. Broken_Arrow

Broken_Arrow Fawn

Nov 24, 2009
    Manchester
    Hey Cheese, its no typo. It can be hunted in both ehu 6a and 6b, This is coming per the CO, as far as deer very few numbers in that area but some absolute giants. I know of at least 4 deer over 150 coming out of there this year with 2 of them in the 170's. Big mountains equal big deer.

4. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    10/4 on that. I am heading back there again to wear another pair of boots out. I hope to find what Im looking for.

5. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    Hello Cheese.Find a big buck for me too.Just kiddin I would say that is some tough country to bowhunt.But having it to yourself during orange time might get me over there though.

6. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    Just noticed on phonycheck that only one bowkill was called in and only 14 or so total.How many acres is that place?

7. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    24,014 acres, if I find a buck you are invited, you may have to ask ups to fly you in.

8. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    I wish all the public land was Bow only. I think with the increased deer populations it would get plenty of hunting pressure from bowhunters only.

9. fast82

fast82 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2010
    Bow only with a 15inch limit.On all of them.Whooo talk about alot of happy taxidermist.Opps they say antler restrictions don't work cause someone shot a short one and left it in the woods,my bad....