Abandoned treestands

PUBLIC RAT

10 pointer
Feb 18, 2014
So today I was scouting some public land for next deer season. I was far off the road but maybe 150yards from property line. No main trail,I actually had to trim briars to advance. Ran into this treestand set on top of hill. Looked abandoned to me,seat rotted out,straps on steps were taunt and molded, just starting to grow into tree. Last year scouted different areas off the path and found ladder stands fallen over and some sets that I was impressed with. Found 1 where cables had broke and dangling, seat rotted out and straps growing in tree,hope that person didn't fall. Oh well not my stuff, I take mine down.

Attachments

• 20220216_150957.jpg
    20220216_150957.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 20220216_150937.jpg
    20220216_150937.jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 282

PUBLIC RAT

10 pointer
Feb 18, 2014
I see stuff like that all the time hunting public. It’s my understanding your supposed to remove it after season, which I take to mean by March 1.
Deer season ended a month ago, treestand should be removed a week after close.

Attachments

• 20220216_222218.jpg
    20220216_222218.jpg
    989.3 KB · Views: 65

HeadedWest

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2016
Is it your land? Is it your stand? No? Then its not yours. It ain't rocket surgery...

I agree with the general idea BUT that is “our” tree the stand is attached. If a feller decides to leave that stand and the tree grows around it best case or dies worst case it has now affected revenue for KDFWR or wildlife value, which in turn directly affects sportsman.

I’ve never taken one down, but the thought has crossed my mind MANY times when you see them in the shape like OP shared.

countryboy3006

6 pointer
Jan 28, 2015
Northern KY
I wouldn't take any stand left out myself but I do wish the WMAs would remove the stands that are left out after the season. Most of the WMAs that I have been on have old stands left up all over them.

xilk123

8 pointer
Oct 7, 2011
clay co
Someone paid for the stand and hung it. If you are so bothered by it being left up longer than it should be after season contact the Game warden and let them deal with it and leave contact info for the person. Don't use it as a excuse to steal someones stand. It isn't yours leave it be. Life happens maybe you get sick or injured and go back a couple months later and your stand has been stolen. Im just a different mindset if it isn't mine I am not gonna take it. I never really understood why people get so bothered if a stands left anyway. They just hang them back in the same spot when season rolls back around.

James Scott White

6 pointer
Oct 17, 2020
Rowan County
So today I was scouting some public land for next deer season. I was far off the road but maybe 150yards from property line. No main trail,I actually had to trim briars to advance. Ran into this treestand set on top of hill. Looked abandoned to me,seat rotted out,straps on steps were taunt and molded, just starting to grow into tree. Last year scouted different areas off the path and found ladder stands fallen over and some sets that I was impressed with. Found 1 where cables had broke and dangling, seat rotted out and straps growing in tree,hope that person didn't fall. Oh well not my stuff, I take mine down.
Throw them in the truck. They ain’t coming back.

Reactions: TBo

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
The game department does not have enough manpower to go removing every stand left on public land. Some people leave them up and claim the spot every year like they own it. I don’t know the legality of removing them after time has expired but I don’t feel sorry for one being taken after time is up. There’s no excuse to leave it. I hate a thief but if the stand is on public land after season then maybe the law says it’s free game. I don’t know. Just remove your stand and problems solved.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
If you take a tree stand that someone else paid for, carried in and hung up, then I see that as stealing. I mean I agree stands on public should be taken down as the law is written. They are supposed to be tagged too with your info, I guess if you find a brand new stand during season and it’s not tagged you can just carry it out with you too? If it’s been there a while I may hunt out of it. Or if you want to prove a point without being a thief, take it down and leave it laying on the ground.

Latest posts