A turkey hunter is born.....

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by hunter1hall, Apr 25, 2011.

1. hunter1hall

hunter1hall 6 pointer

Dec 5, 2003
    Springfield, Kentucky.
    ....granted later in life than most of us, but it is a good thing none the less. My buddy who has gone through a lot to say the least, finally gave in to trying the turkey hunting thing. Getting him to hunt was a chore in itself. I have tried for years. He tried deer hunting when we were teenagers but lost interest when success didnt find him. Fast forward a tour in Iraq (Marines) a blindside divorce and losing the life he was accustomed to with his family, i knew he could find something that might open him up a little, and give him a little positive outlook. I talked him into trying the hunting thing again. I wanted him to be successful more than i have ever wanted success. It wasnt looking to good with the weather, and we have pretty limited ground to hunt. First two days were as bad as they could be. No birds gobbling and nothing within eyesight. I tried to stay positive and keep his head in the game. He couldnt go again til Saturday morning, and when the alarm went off it was pouring rain with lightening. I called and told him to go back to bed and we would try if the rain let up. I picked him up about 11 and we headed out. We arrived at the farm we hunt and quickly set up the blind in the middle of a long field on top of a ridge. No sooner than we had sat down i looked up and 200 yds away was a gobbler in full strut. I could tell he had a hen, he wouldnt respond to any calls. After about 5 minutes he disappeared over the hill. I figured the hen or hens would surely give this old boy the slip( hopefully sooner than later). After an hour and a half, a hen appeared in the field. I gave a few yelps at her to get her attention, and she began to feed toward us. Just like magic, the gobbler appeared just behind her. She led him in. She came all the way to about a 2 yards. He didnt make it past 45 yds. It was a bit long, but the heavy 13 blend scrambled his noodle. It was an awesome hunt, with an awesome friend. I hadnt seen him smile like that for a while!
    [​IMG]

2. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    Congratulations to your buddy....and to you for being a great friend, and sticking with it. That grin says it all.
    gatorgrowl

3. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    That is fantastic! Hope the turkey hunting bug has bit him!

4. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    great looking tom. hopefully he has been bit like turk2di said.

5. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Fawn

Mar 30, 2011
    Kentucky
    Congrats to you and your friend.

6. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    congrats to you guys, glad you were able to get him on a bird