A question on hunter orange

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Bill Nagle, Nov 21, 2019.

1. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    If im on my farm anytime during gun season. I have my orange hat on. Even if im on my tractor. A LOT of idiots in the woods with guns.

00noturkey and 1wildcatfan like this.
  2. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Yep I agree,...but overall I don't see basically any. You are also a hunter,...a lot of full time farmers don't hunt at all and don't put on anything special in the mornings.

DH13 likes this.
  3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    Ok so hijack question, sorry OP. What about while in the stand? Gotta keep the orange on or can it be taken off?

4. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
  5. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    I even put hunter orange on the top of my blind. You never know when some idiot will shoot at a deer with your blind in the background. o_O

00noturkey and bondhu like this.
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I had a buddy get a ticket for taking off his orange hat and putting it in his lap. CO told him I see you have a orange hat but you got it on the wrong head.

00noturkey likes this.
  7. Bill Nagle

Bill Nagle Fawn

Jun 25, 2019
    Menifee County, KY
    I got tagged in georgia for that one....gotta leave it on

8. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Dr. Henry Jones said it best on one of his rabbit hunting videos...we all wear our orange that way if one of us gets shot we know it was murder.

Carl and aaronc like this.
  9. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I agree....but apparently if your in the Bardstown area they still seem to think it can be an accident. So really it just depends ;)

00noturkey likes this.
  10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    during deer season, i will wear hunter orange in the woods. just to many trigger happy people out there that know nothing of how to hunt. city slickers, hear something, take a shot, in the direction, to kill a friend, or a son, so to speak. in the woods, wear something orange. i dont think it should be a law that non hunters be required to wear orange. i will though...

11. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    lots of stray bullets, in bardstown, aint there?

12. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    All I know is what I see,..I'm close enough that I have known and worked with several from over there over the years. I was pretty taken aback with the fact that KSP had called the "hunter orange shooting" a hunting accident,...or that's what they said last I had seen of it. I wouldn't have been so surprised if that had come from some of the local departments,........but KSP ? I mean come on. Swamp Beagler said it,...if ya get shot we know it was murder,..common sense to me. Heck if I know,.....they do have a nice gun shop there so I guess it's a nice place to visit,..but I ain't gonna live there ;)

13. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    Heck Yea. i'm close enough as is. i'm glad i dont know nothing, about what goes on, there. it might make a TV show someday.. similar to Dallas.. i think they already had one, based on ky., but loaded it with so many commercials, i quit watching it. o_O
    which gun shop are ya referring to?

muddhunter likes this.
  14. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Kentucky Gun Co.
    The guy used to be in the older part of town in an old store that sold country hams,...new store has been there probably a decade or so....it's not far from the Bluegrass Parkway.

15. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    You are required to wear Hunter Orange if:

1) You are hunting during a firearm-related deer season. That means if you hunt squirrel during Deer rifle season, you need to wear orange.
    2) You are accompanying a hunter during said seasons, but are not hunting yourself.
    3) If you are attempting to recover a deer.

Now, having covered what's legal, let's go into what's safe. Whether you are a hunter or not, whether you are hunting or not, I would on as much orange as possible and keep it on during all firearms-related deer seasons. If you go out to the mailbox? Wear orange. Raking leaves? Wear orange. Basically, from October 1 to New Years, it makes sense to wear at least an orange hat no matter what you are doing. If you're going to be away from the house-- in a field or in the woods, you probably need to wear a hat and a vest.

The reason is not so much because rifle hunters are morons, but it really helps us, conscientious guys. I can see a hunter in a legal amount of orange over a mile. They look like an orange firefly at that distance. If I'm out deer hunting and I see a hint of orange on the next ridge, I'm going to make a mental note of that. I'm not going to fire in that direction.

I try and make sure my shots on deer are 100% safe. I make sure there is ground visible behind the deer. I don't take shots at running deer. I hunt in the middle of my property and stay away from the fences. Still, if I knew there was a hunter in rough line with my shot, I'd hold up and wait for the deer to move.

00noturkey and Winchester94 like this.