A question on hunter orange

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Bill Nagle, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Bill Nagle

Bill Nagle Fawn

Jun 25, 2019
    Menifee County, KY
    I'll be up on our property thanks giving weekend , not hunting just hanging around walking the property. So my question is ,am I required to wear hunter orange if I'm not hunting on my property? I'm just trying to stay legal

2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I’d say yes. During firearms season

Bill Nagle likes this.
  3. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think it is, but I would if it wasn’t ,never know who’s lurking around

loganlee, davers and Munson like this.
  4. Bill Nagle

Bill Nagle Fawn

Jun 25, 2019
    Menifee County, KY
    True..

5. Meatstick

Meatstick 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Not required that weekend.
    I'll be hunting ducks that weekend, and certainly won't have on any orange

EdLongshanks likes this.
  6. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I didn’t read your ? through. Thanksgiving weekend NO. Firearm season is out by then. This is last weekend.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  7. Bill Nagle

Bill Nagle Fawn

Jun 25, 2019
    Menifee County, KY
    Thanks for the info guys

davers likes this.
  8. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    To my knowledge, it's not illegal for anyone to not wear orange while in the woods during any deer firearm season if they're not hunting; but it's highly suggested.

If you're actively hunting though, it is required.

I went over the hill on my place yesterday afternoon to check feeders and put an orange hat on, to be on the safe side.

Winchester94 likes this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    My question is, why wouldn't you? Better safe than sorry.... I was hunting in December ML season a few years ago, and saw the guy on the next property walking the field edge with his dog. I called him that night and asked him if that was him I saw. He got defensive and said, "Yes, I walk the dog down there about every night....". I replied, "That's fine, and it doesn't bother me, but you should put an orange hat or vest on. It's ML season." David had no idea, and thanked me for the heads up. He thought I was gonna complain, I just didn't want my friend to get shot.

rockhousehunter and Winchester94 like this.
  10. Bill Nagle

Bill Nagle Fawn

Jun 25, 2019
    Menifee County, KY
    I'm not saying that I'm not was more asking if it is illegal to be in the woods without orange on...

11. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Season is out as of this coming Sunday so no worries if you are there the Sunday after Thanksgiving. You are NOT required to wear orange if you aren't hunting but during gun season, but why not? Orange isn't just a law for hunting. It's a safety issue. Going out walking or hiking during gun season is a hazard if you don't have on orange. Bullets don't care if you are hunting or strolling.

Winchester94 likes this.
  12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I don't think it's illegal.

Winchester94 likes this.
  13. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    If you are smart you will have on some orange. Even an orange cap is better than nothing.

14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've been told that if one is out in there own woods, during Rifle, Muzzle Loading seasons, they have to, by law. If they are carrying any firearm then it's required, on their property. Anyway it's wise to wear hunter orange vest or jacket and hat if one is out during those seasons hunting or not.

15. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Is it a good safety practice,...sure. Is it law,..no not that I know of. How many farmers do you see out wearing hunter orange ? ,.....and no I don't think it should be a law that they do.